Blichmann Conical 14.5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StAnthonyB

Reaction score
In regards to Dave Miller's book where he describes ale making in open and closed fermenters, and how he says that the krausen should be skimmed off for the first three days or evacuated via a blow-off tube by reducing the available headspace in the close fermenter.

I know the manufacturer says that 11 gallons is the max capacity for the 14.5 gallon conical fermenter. I also know I've read of brewers who routinely put more than that in there.

So, with this in mind what is the most volume you all have put into your fermenters? Please, bear in mind my application; that is, racking to a secondary for generation and capture of CO2 within a 15-gallon PSI rated stainless steel barrel.

A related question is: What is the acceptable headspace in the secondary when conditioning for carbonation (to avoid the need for supplemental priming)?

I see no use for a secondary if owning a conical but thats just me. I have the 7 gallon Blichmann and I would not put more than 5.5 gallons into it.

You could always try Fermcap if worried about not having enough headspace. I have never used it in a fermenter though only starters.

Back