German potato salad recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Figured I would share this recipe, this is the best stuff ever.

6 med. size red potato's (Boiled until soft)
1/4 c. deiced celery
diced onion
salt and pepper
6 slices bacon cubed and fried

Add bacon to potato's and veggies .

Take bacon grease and add 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup cider vinegar, cook till reduced to a syrup. and the pour over potato mixture.

Add 1/4 cup chopped Fresh parsley.

No mustard in German potato salad that I know of. I think I'm going to make this when I get home, you just made me hungry Ryan.

Sounds tasty, let me ask a couple of questions...

How long of a boil on the taters?

What type of bacon do you use?

Do you cool the syrup mixture, or is OK to pour on hot.

Sounds tasty, let me ask a couple of questions...

How long of a boil on the taters?

What type of bacon do you use?

Do you cool the syrup mixture, or is OK to pour on hot.

Not really sure on time, I just cook till tender, you can also just pop them in the Microwave (Which is what I do a lot of the time).

Just plan jane store bought bacon. Pour the syrup hot, this dish is actually served warm or at room temperature

Probably should add: Half the potatoes and slice 1/4" thick before cooking. Kind of lumpy otherwise.:D

I was in Cologne last spring after a trip to the Nurburgring. This was lunch in Peters Baruhaus.

Sausage and Tater Salad.
IMG_2351.jpg

And some 0.2L Koelsch to wash it down.
IMG_2350.jpg

:rockin:

I made some last night, with a few modifications based on the ingredients I had. Eating the leftovers for lunch right now.

German potato salad was as staple in our house when I was a kid. No mustard.

Last year I visited Germany twice. All the potato salad had mustard.

I like it either way. Much better than the may-yo-nays version

I was in Cologne last spring after a trip to the Nurburgring. This was lunch in Peters Baruhaus.

Sausage and Tater Salad.
IMG_2351.jpg

And some 0.2L Koelsch to wash it down.
IMG_2350.jpg

:rockin:

I was at the same place last fall. Loved the food, not a fan of the Kolsch.

Ok lay your best German potato salad recipes on me. Gonna make me up a batch for the 4th cookout.

Now we're talking! I don't have measurements for the ingredients on mine. I make it like my mom in Niagara Falls does. She learned it from her mom. I use:

White potatoes (maybe eight or ten?)
Bacon (one pound hickory smoked and thinly sliced. Chop into 1/2 inch pieces before cooking)
White vinegar (about a half cup...more or less to taste)
Sugar (about a half cup...again, mo or less to taste. It should contrast the vinegar)
White onions (one big one or two medium ones sliced very thin)
Salt and pepper to taste

Boil potatoes whole until fork tender (unpeeled) in salted water

While potatoes are boiling, chop the bacon into small pieces and saute. Make sure you buy plain hickory smoked bacon. Maple smoked bacon will give your GPS an off taste. Actually, the cheaper the bacon the better. You want bacon that is sliced really thin so your salad isn't "chewey".

After potatoes are done boiling, peel them under cool running water by rubbing with your hand. The skin should pretty much slide off. Once peeled, slice the potatoes into chunks about the size of a wine cork or a little smaller.

When the bacon is done, remove the bacon reserving the fat in the pan. Add 1/2 cup sugar and bring to a boil. Add in 1/2 cup white vinegar and simmer, reducing a little bit. Add fried bacon back to sauce.

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and stir in sauce and thinly sliced white onion. Add salt and peer to taste. Serve immediately while still warm.

I'll be making this on Saturday as well!

The family recipe:

3 lbs potatoes
6 slices bacon
¾ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp flour
2 tbsp sugar
2 tsps salt
½ tsp celery seed
Dash of pepper
¾ cup water
1/3 cup vinegar

Boil the spuds 20-ish minutes. Fry the bacon, remove and chop. Simmer the onions in the bacon grease with salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients, cook 4-5 mins. Add sliced spuds and chopped bacon, msix gently. Serve it up.

One variation adds mustard powder, another yellow mustard. You can also substitute apple cider vinegar.

The above recipes look good but I always add some whole mustard seeds. It gives it a little flavor, a little crunch, and it makes it look authentic.

Ok, I tried to find our old family recipe, but couldn't. But my mother did find this one in a cookbook published by Maders' German Restaurant in Milwaukee, WI. She's going to give me the cookbook on Sunday- can't wait to try their sauerbraten recipe!

Here goes:

Boil 6 potatoes till soft. (about 6 cups)
Peel & cut into 1/4" slices-set aside
Fry 12 slices of bacon & save drippings
Chop 3 onions (about 1 1/2 cups chopped)
Saute onions in 6tbsp of bacon drippings.
Stir in 1 cup + 2 tbsp vinegar
Add 1 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, and (optional) 3/4 tsp MSG.
Heat to boiling
Add Bacon (chopped)

Pour over potatoes, and enjoy!

3lbs red potatoes boiled till soft
1 medium vidalia onion
1lb bacon
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder

Boiled potatoes in skin till done. Cooked bacon till crisp. Sauteed the onions in the bacon drippings till soft. Added the rest of the ingredients and boiled until it reduced a bit. Peeled the potatoes, left a few skins for texture and flavor. Poured the hot dressing over and let it sit on the counter for a hour or so. MMM bacony deliciousness.

All the recipes are perfect. I like to add some yellow mustard and prefer cider vinegar for that extra little zing of flavor. I also like a little bit of celery chopped for some crunch and I always add a pickle or two, chopped quite small. Then you get the onion, bacon, potato and pickle in your mouth at the same time and boy oh boy is it tasty.

3lbs red potatoes boiled till soft
1 medium vidalia onion
1lb bacon
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
salt and pepper to taste
garlic powder

Boiled potatoes in skin till done. Cooked bacon till crisp. Sauteed the onions in the bacon drippings till soft. Added the rest of the ingredients and boiled until it reduced a bit. Peeled the potatoes, left a few skins for texture and flavor. Poured the hot dressing over and let it sit on the counter for a hour or so. MMM bacony deliciousness.

My wife was bitching because I boiled the potatoes first and then peeled them. She has a good point, it's a pain in the a$$ to peel them once they've been boiled. I told her that it's just the way do do it and it's the way my mom does it. Anyone have an idea why we boil them and then peel???

I know it's not to style but just don't peel 'em - i use red and it works well- problem solved and yummines ensues...

The real reasoin is that peeled boiled potatores turn into mashed potatoes and not potato salad...IME, too much water absorption

My wife was bitching because I boiled the potatoes first and then peeled them. She has a good point, it's a pain in the a$$ to peel them once they've been boiled. I told her that it's just the way do do it and it's the way my mom does it. Anyone have an idea why we boil them and then peel???

To stop them getting too floury and breaking up too much, keeping the skin on helps them stay soapy.

Peel them when they are hot right out of the pot under a little running water. The skins slip right off em.

The potatoes we had were tough this year. It was a PITA to get the skins off, even hot. I do agree though that they should be boiled skin on. I'll have to try adding mustard seed sometime. I've never had it in GPS. It's probably not in my family's recipe as both my parents were very poor growing up and their parents would not have had the money to have spices other than salt and pepper.

I combined a lot of the above ideas into a killer potato salad for a party yesterday. Sure, it's a little less than authentic, but it was a huge hit. Here's roughly how it went together:

Measurements are approximate - sometimes I go a little Swedish chef in the kitchen.

8 lbs of russet potatoes
1 lb thick cut bacon
1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
1-1/3 cup cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
2-3 Tbsp reserved bacon drippings
2 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
2 Tbsp VERY finely diced pickles
1 Tbsp mustard seeds
Fresh ground pepper

I boiled the potatoes with the skin on until just soft, then peeled them under cold running water. A few of the smaller ones got overcooked and were much more difficult to handle.

While the potatoes boiled, I fried up the bacon - a thick cut, lightly smoked store brand that I really like. When it was crisp, I drained the bacon on some paper towels and chopped it.

I sauteed the onion in a little bit of bacon drippings until it was soft and translucent.

I diced a few sweet gherkins, a few dill chips, and some deli peperoncini. The pickle mixture was diced so finely that people had to ask, "what's giving it that extra kick?"

Lastly, the vinegar, sugar, bacon drippings, mustard, and mustard seed went into a small pot over medium high heat. It took about 10 minutes of boiling for the dressing to reduce to a thin syrup.

Because I prepared everything very early, I refrigerated the potatoes by themselves, only seasoned with a little pepper. I combined the dressing, bacon, pickles, and onions in a separate bowl and refrigerated it, also. When it was time to serve, I microwaved the potatoes, heated the dressing, and combined everything at the last minute.

Back