Brew bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boydak

Reaction score
Hey,

I have use bags when steeping specialty grains before but what about for hop pellets?

I have a hard time straining the wort due to the strainer constantly cloggin up. I am sure bags would help but would it have a negative impact on the beer?

Muslin (disposable) hop socks are pretty standard. Make sure you leave tons of room for expansion. The socks don't keep all if it in but the majority of it.

Try making a hop sock with stuff from HD or Lowes:
P1050319.jpg

P1050321.jpg

P1050334.jpg

P1050336.jpg

It is just a 5 gallon paint strainer, two 4" U clamps, threaded rods, wing nuts, washers, and binder clips. Works like a charm!

The hop socks work great...(I use one everytime). Just don't expect that they'll grab everything. Alot of particles still get through and if you strain your wort with a fine mesh....it'll still get clogged...just not as much/often. If I strain my wort I use a metal strainer that catches the big stuff.....fine mesh is just a pain in the a#$...IMHO and I haven't noticed any difference in my brews....especially if you secondary or cold crash....

Back