First extract, but not from a kit: Dunkelweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch and the first that's not from a kit, so I wanted some input on the ingredients. It's a dunkelweizen:

6 lb Wheat DME (55% wheat, 45% barley)
.25 lbs chocolate malt
.12 lbs Special B malt
1 oz Hallertau hops (boiling)
1 pg Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012

Ferment and condition for 3-4 weeks, then bottle and carbonate for an additional period of time.

How does this one look?

Looks good to me. I made a Dunkel-Weizen (Which turned out to be one of my favorite brews) that was similar.
I used some Black Patent (same amount as the chocolate malt) to darken it up.
I also used 1 oz Hallartau, but kept 1/4 oz for flavoring. I am not sure that was necessary.
I also used Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Lager Yeast but I don't know enough to say if this makes much of a difference. For a Dunkelweizen, Wyeast suggests 3056 as a first choice and 3068 as the next best.

I think you are going to like it.

Wish I saw this in time! I'll note the yeast strains for next go around. I did go with the #3068, but judging from the smell of the fermenting yeast and the specialty grains at different points, I think it'll go well.

I brewed almost the exact same recipe and it turned out to be one of my favorite beers so far. I used .5 lb of chocolate malt but no special b. Everything else is the same as mine and it turned out great.:mug:

Good to know. It's fermenting now...hopefully the 72 degree temp doesn't leave it overly yeasty. Look forward to the results!

Good to know. It's fermenting now...hopefully the 72 degree temp doesn't leave it overly yeasty. Look forward to the results!

I fermented 3068 at 70-72 and it turned out really well. Nice banana esters. Everyone seemed to like it, including myself. I started drinking it at 3 weeks in the bottle. It didn't last much past 4. I am fermenting the next batch a little cooler.

Nice I am getting ready to brew my Dunkel, but I am going to use Carmel Vienna instead or the specialty B and changing it to 8 oz Carmel Vienna and 4 oz chocolate. not sure if I am going to go with a little extra hop. maybe 1/2 oz Hallertau last 15, as the hops I got were only 3%aa. and I am using 6.6 LME wheat.

I've nearly perfected this stye! Try this:

Steep:
1lb Belgian CaraMünich
.25lb Carafa 1

60 min Boil:
6lb Wheat DME
1oz Hallertau Hersbrucker

15 min Boil:
1tsp Irish Moss or 1 Whirlfloc tab

Yeast:
WYeast 3068 Weihenstaphan

This guy's bottle conditioning now. 2 weeks left. I snuck one during brew day yesterday and it's pretty ester-y and banana-y. Hopefully that will mellow over the next couple of weeks!

It fermented at about 72.

Back