Hop Share Recipe share.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What are you making with your hops received from the lottery...where EVERYONE WINS?

I'm thinking a SmAsH but I'm not sure....maybe a Marris Otter Smash...one with each hop...matching the IBU's so as to really showcase the difference in hop flavors.

Also thinking of an IPA.

Between the pound of Cascade coming and the pound of Centennial in the fridge, some enamel-stripping IPA is appropriate, I figure. :D

Haven't the foggiest idea what to do with that Sterling. Yet.

I definitely want to do a SMaSH with each, as well as an IPA that I've been starting to have dreams about...
I just wish it wasn't so frickin cold out. Time to start thinking about putting in a fume hood in my basement.

Haven't the foggiest idea what to do with that Sterling. Yet.

Flavor is a cross between Saaz and Mt Hood
Use for: Lagers, Ales, Pilsners
Aroma: Herbal, Spicy, some floral and citrus hints
Substitutions: Saaz, Polish Lublin

I haven't found Sterling to be as spicy as Liberty but it might make a decent subsitution in a Rye Pale Ale or Rye IPA, where I normally use Liberty.

I've still got a decent stock of Liberty so no subs there for me anytime soon.

Here are some recipes on Beertools that use Sterling.

BeerTools.com Recipe Library

I just tapped this keg of Cascadia IPA last night.

Out...friggin...standing...

Used up about 60% of my available Cascade so this came just in time.

Cascadia IPA

Batch Size: 5.75 gal
Boil Size: 7.81 gal
Estimated OG: 1.070 SG
Estimated Color: 10.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.0 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)

1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (20 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (5 min)

1.00 oz Cascade [6.10%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Centennial [9.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days)
1.00 oz Williamette [5.20%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

If you're looking for a crowd pleaser, my Sterling Gold (recipe drop down) is very popular.

I am probably going to get some Centennial and Chinook from Freshops (on my Christmas wish list) and brew a Sierra Nevada Celebration clone. This is the recipe, it is from Mike McDole as shared on one of the Brewing Network shows:

Picture7-1.png

I plan on brewin the hell out of BM's kona fire rock clone.....my favorite beer right now. A little OT but what is the big difference between using a hopback and just dryhopping?

I plan on brewin the hell out of BM's kona fire rock clone.....my favorite beer right now. A little OT but what is the big difference between using a hopback and just dryhopping?

my guess hopback is on the way to primary, dryhopping often happens in a secondary vessel.

Ahem, ok let's try this again.

I will definatley be brewing up a lot of my favorite recipe which is in my recipe dropdown, Bloody IRA. It uses Cascade and Crystal can be subbed out for the cluster very nicely, the crystal gives it a nice noble smoothness that a regular IPA doesn't have. I haven't actually done it with Crystal, but I am about to, and I have done it with other American "noble" varieties (Liberty, Mt. Hood).

Since the crystal is a sub for Halllertau, I will probably be using it in a few German lagers as well, like my gold medal winning Schwarzbier (also in drop down), and my Vienna Lager.

I think a SMaSH with Marris Otter and Crystal would come out nice, I may have to try that.

For the user who is still wondering what we are talking about, you need to be a paying member to understand. It's a nice perk fo sure.

As to my recipies, I have three ale yeasts that I pulled from the secondary and have in the fridge. I'm hoping I can get them started again and brew a few ales with at least the cascades and a few ounces of store bought.

What's really nice about getting this stuff is that I can vacuum them up in oz packages and then pull out of the deep freezer as necessary without having to visit the LHBS.

Biermuncher, that recipe has a crazy amount of hops...I might just have to try it!

I am getting a pound of crystal, and a pound of cascade. I've only used crystal once before, so I"m not sure what I'll do with it. I used it in a nice American Amber, and loved it.

I'm going to be making some big-ass IPAs with my centennial/cascade combo. I have tons of centennial right now, and first is the Two hearted clone, and then some centennial/cascade mixes.

Lorena,

When you get them, open up the Crystal and it all will come to you. After packaging up 22 of the 33lbs of Crystal I'm wishing I had some for myself. They are smelling fantastic and I think they would work well for a flavor/aroma hop in a Pale Ale or IPA.

For the holidays some houses may smell of cinnamon, evergreen trees and the like. Screw that, mine smells like hops!!!

Lorena,

When you get them, open up the Crystal and it all will come to you. After packaging up 22 of the 33lbs of Crystal I'm wishing I had some for myself. They are smelling fantastic and I think they would work well for a flavor/aroma hop in a Pale Ale or IPA.

For the holidays some houses may smell of cinnamon, evergreen trees and the like. Screw that, mine smells like hops!!!

Ok, Harv, I'll let the hops speak to me and tell me how to use them. Thanks again for organizing this, sharing the wealth, and giving to charity also. I admire you for it.

Thank you. I missed it....

When I get mine, I'll sell you half, if you're interested. I am getting a pound of cascade, and a pound of crystal. I paid $44 for that, so I'd sell 1/2 for, well, 1/2 that much. I'd have to get it, separate it, and then reship, so it might take a little longer than for the rest of us. Let me know if you want to do that.

When I get mine, I'll sell you half, if you're interested. I am getting a pound of cascade, and a pound of crystal. I paid $44 for that, so I'd sell 1/2 for, well, 1/2 that much. I'd have to get it, separate it, and then reship, so it might take a little longer than for the rest of us. Let me know if you want to do that.

SURE!!! That sounds great... Thanks a bunch. :ban:

Latest posts

Back