Split my batch in the primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbum007

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I finished brewing the NB bourbon barrel porter extract last Saturday (4th brew, 1st steeping grains). The OG came out a little low but I think I now what happed there and am not worried about that. I am thinking about splitting my batch when it finishes in the primary. Half would go to bottles immediately and the other half would go to the secondary and finish out with the oak and bourbon (amounts cut in half). I am thinking having both would give me a good idea of what the base beer tastes like and how the oak and bourbon add to the taste. Any reason I should not do it? I have one more extract that I have the ingredients for and then I will probably start trying the partial-mash since I already have the equipment to at least do that (not enough to do AG).

Hi everyone. I finished brewing the NB bourbon barrel porter extract last Saturday (4th brew, 1st steeping grains). The OG came out a little low but I think I now what happed there and am not worried about that. I am thinking about splitting my batch when it finishes in the primary. Half would go to bottles immediately and the other half would go to the secondary and finish out with the oak and bourbon (amounts cut in half). I am thinking having both would give me a good idea of what the base beer tastes like and how the oak and bourbon add to the taste. Any reason I should not do it? I have one more extract that I have the ingredients for and then I will probably start trying the partial-mash since I already have the equipment to at least do that (not enough to do AG).

As a matter of fact I am doing something similar with my latest version of my Brown Ale Recipe, to which I added a pound of smoked malt.

I plan on racking half into a 3 gallon carboy over some Jack Daniels Oak SMoking Chips which have been soaking in about 3/4 of a cup more of Jack, to sanitize them...

Back