Only One Bine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StonesBally

Reaction score
I have six hop plants growing in pots right now. Some seem to be doing better than others, but my Chinook has the best looking and tallest bine on is so far, about 6'. The problem is that this is the only shoot on the plant. Will is send more shoots up? I am worried about the one shoot breaking or dieing thus killing my plants' roots underground. Anyone have a similar experience or advice? This is my first attempt at growing hops, and the plants are all between 1-6 ft tall, and I plan to put them in the ground this week.

It's still early in the season, so it is likely you'll see more bines. If the bine just dies, the root is probably dead as well.

If the bine breaks at some point above the soil it should start growing up side arms. As long as the bine is healthy and has somewhere to grow you should be fine.

I'm hoping it does sprout some more as it still is pretty early in the spring here. I just hope I don't damage the one bine there is when I transfer it to the ground this week.

This thread makes me feel a little better. I planted two rhizomes 12 days ago, gave each one their own half barrel jack daniels barrel, huge planter. I have one tiny sprout so far and I was getting worried. I guess I shoudl give them more time.

This is my 2nd year growing hops I put in 4 plants and only 1 gave me hops the 1st year. This year they all look great.

Back