Beer Judging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AleHole

Reaction score
I have never looked into how homebrew competitions are judged but I assume its similiar to a BBQ comp where the judges sample many different types of beer throughout the day. If I am wrong correct me. It got me to thinking after trying 3 different beers in one sitting how the judges could actually make a sound judgement on a particuliar beer. I mean, If I sample a brew and then turn around and sample another different brew my palate is not ready for that. Then after a few beers everything tastes better and different anyways. Any judges out there that can explain how a fair judgement is made?

I've worked several competitions as a Steward or Head Steward. We set the judges up with beers ranging from lightest to darkest, robust, or hoppier. It normally takes 15 to 20 minutes for each entry and rarely is the whole entry consumed between the 3 judges and Steward, There is also water and soda crackers to cleans the palette. Judges should never judge more than 12 entries per day although I've seen some do more.

Wild

Latest posts

Back