Sparging setup - open top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meinbrau

Reaction score
I've been AG brewing for about 5 years now and like everybody else I'm always looking for reasons to tinker and upgrade my equipment/processes. Recently I've been looking at upgrading my sparging setup and have been looking at stuff on line. My question is this: It looks like 99% of sparging is done without the mash tun lid on. It would seem to me that you would want to control the sparge water temperature as much as possible, and an open top is counter to that. I'm thinking of an isulated cover of sorts that will allow me to still moniter the water level. Any comments?

I believe part of the reason to sparge without the top on the MT and HLT is to "vent" them to get consistent flow. The other part of the reason being that you can monitor the water levels.

I believe part of the reason to sparge without the top on the MT and HLT is to "vent" them to get consistent flow. The other part of the reason being that you can monitor the water levels.

I'm assuming you mean without a pump? I use a March pump and don't have any consistent flow problems. I keep the top on to prevent temp loss.

Not planning on making it air tight, so venting is not an issue, I'm just thinking of trying to maintain temperature better.

You could get some of that pink foam insulation cut to the size of your mash tun and then float it on top of the mash.

Latest posts

Back