Tode in the hole.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you eat tode in the hole

• WFT?

• Hell Yeh! all the time.

• Only with carrot wine?

• I'm a member of the TLA....Toad Liberation Army.

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you mean this. Then Yes.

eatme3.jpg

Lol, yeah not all the time....but I do make my eggs that way on occasion. Just gotta get some chickens this spring.

If you ever read the book "King Rat" by James Clavell there is a part in there where the British guy compliments the American (the King) by saying his eggs are "pretty good" (or something like that) with the intended meaning they are fantastic. The King explodes, taking it as an insult. lol.

orfy said:
Sort of but it's with sausages.

:confused:

Interesting. The American version is usually in some form of toast. Does the egg go in a sausage patty? Or is there sausage on it/under it?

I'm sorry; but when I think of British cooking, I can't help but think of "Two Fat Ladies" whipping pigeon hearts into submission as the base for sheep eye pudding. Of course I'm only kidding; but don't get me started on Scottish cooking...Haggis...yummmmm!

erbiumyag said:
I'm sorry; but when I think of British cooking, I can't help but think of "Two Fat Ladies" whipping pigeon hearts into submission as the base for sheep eye pudding. Of course I'm only kidding; but don't get me started on Scottish cooking...Haggis...yummmmm!
The Scots also invented 'deep fried battered pizza'. A heart attack per slice....

erbiumyag said:

Lol. I used to enjoy watching their creations. They did have some good stuff, unfortunately their show title and cooking style were not unrelated :D. Interestingly, the one lady died from cancer (smoking?) rather than from high cholesterol.

Caplan said:
The Scots also invented 'deep fried battered pizza'. A heart attack per slice....

We used to eat them every lunch-time at high school, no joke. A half battered pizza and a can of irn-bru. Don't forget the 'deep fried mars bar'! :rockin:

No wonder life expectancy is lower than Africa in some parts of Glasgow.

Haggis....I'm still the only person I know who BBQs it with goats cheese or griddles it for breakfast with black pudding.

Cheesefood said:
Is there such thing as GOOD British food?

There is in this house cheese.

This is with Bratwurst in Blonde Batter. Parsnips cooked in chicken stock and an Blonde onion gravy.

Served with a pint of Son of a Blonde Bastard Ale.

It's all about the taste.

2901071913sl1.jpg

orfy said:
Haggis....I'm still the only person I know who BBQs it with goats cheese or griddles it for breakfast with black pudding.

Hehe, yeah I made Boudin Noir a few months back. Never had Haggis though.

zoebisch01 said:
Hehe, yeah I made Boudin Noir a few months back.
Boudin Noir? A dirty French term for 'black pudding'!!!!!;)
I don't eat meat anymore (for various reasons) but I can get a fantastic 'Veggie Boudin Noir' that tastes GREAT - just like the real thing.

The toad in a hole I'm familiar with is a slightly sweet sausage in a flake pastry wrap.

The Americanized version is Pig in a Blanket, made with Oscar Meyer's hot dogs and Pop'n Fresh biscuit in a can.

erbiumyag said:

Haggis is too cultured for you lot. ...and just what would you Americans know about cooking anyho? :D

Seriously though, haggis is nice - mostly oats and spices. Just hearts, kidneys, liver. The stomach is used to wrap (normally just plastic these days) and it is NOT eaten. Deep fried with chips is the best way (oh and with whisky of course)

Haggis = meatloaf made from what the dogs won't eat.:D

They don't drink beer either. Take it as you will. Americans aren't into organ meats. My introduction was a plate of sweetbreads in an "authentic" English pub. I've had haggis; tastes like porcupine meatballs.

Put it this way.

When I eat haggis I know what goes in it.
The average meat pie or sausage has stuff in it that doesn't go into haggis.

Haggis and black pudding used to be made from leftovers and therefore was a cheap food for the poor.
But after it fell out of popularity it was only made as a delicacy and ironically now means that it is usually made with the best ingredients and the greatest of care.

More than can be said for cheap burgers, sausage and pies.

Ewww...

This thread is gross. I'll stick to good old American food, like .

Last edited by a moderator:
LMAO Cheese. My father in law used to work at some place that he had to visit the oscar mayer plant in Madison. He vowed never to consume a hot dog again.

desertBrew said:
LMAO Cheese. My father in law used to work at some place that he had to visit the oscar mayer plant in Madison. He vowed never to consume a hot dog again.

Haha. Man, that's why I make my hotdogs at home. My SIL didn't want to eat them 'cause I added Nitrate. She doesn't understand that is what keeps you from getting Botulism among other things. Plus gray hot dogs don't look all that nice :D Interestingly enough much of our Spinach and Celery contain more Nitrate per lb. than lunchmeats.

I sometimes get weak and pick up a pack of sausages from the supermarket. A quick look at the 35% meat content soon has me putting them back. What the frig is the other 65%?

orfy said:
I sometimes get weak and pick up a pack of sausages from the supermarket. A quick look at the 35% meat content soon has me putting them back. What the frig is the other 65%?

I think it is explained well in the hot dog video above :D

I thought that was just a food my mother made up when I was a kid... no Ideal it was real....Homebrewing in more than a hobbie it an education!

Back