Good fall, maybe Oktoberfest beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of an all grain Oktoberfest recipe, or any great fall beer recipe for that matter? I found a recipe for an Oktoberfest beer but it called for a couple month aging process. Is this typical for Oktoberfest beer recipes or is there another great recipe I can follow with a quicker turn around time?

That is one of the ones I was reading over.....I am assuming if we bottle condition instead of kegging, time frame for fermentation can stay the same?

you can do an oktoberfest at 65-68, then lager it in the beerfrigerator if you have the room. not the same, but close

And what is the best method for keeping track of the actual temperature during fermentation?

So its more an approximate measurement, not technically the temp of the beer itself?

And what is the best method for keeping track of the actual temperature during fermentation?

for the most part you need a temperature controlled fridge to lager. best bang for you buck is a small used chest freezer. there are other ways, but for reliability, this can't be beat.

if you don't have temp contol look at BM's oktoberfast, as this is an ale.

So for lower fermentation temps I am assuming a dedicated refrigerator with a ranco controller or something of the sort is needed?

Temp control can be achieved in many ways (water bath being the easiest and most effective for the homebrewer IMO), but its importance can scarcely be overstated. It is the difference between "drinkable" beer and AWESOME beer.

it's obviously the beer temp. but usually the beer temp is regulated by the temp of the room it's in.

Room temperature is not the same as the beer temperature, but it can give you a pretty good idea of where you're at. Fermentation produces heat so you're beer is going to be warmer than the room temperature while it's fermenting. I've heard folks here say that you can expect to be about 10 degrees above air temperature in the fermenter.

Room temperature is not the same as the beer temperature, but it can give you a pretty good idea of where you're at. Fermentation produces heat so you're beer is going to be warmer than the room temperature while it's fermenting. I've heard folks here say that you can expect to be about 10 degrees above air temperature in the fermenter.

OP: do a search on Swamp Cooler. That's your best bet for getting started with temperature controlled fermentation. It's one of the most important things you can do to improve beer quality.

So for lower fermentation temps I am assuming a dedicated refrigerator with a ranco controller or something of the sort is needed?

yes, for lagers, which is what an oktoberfest traditionally is. You can do the swamp cooler thing, and it works great, but its justr not gonna cut it for lagers. It could prolly work, but it just wouldn't be worth it.

Back