Chicago (Micro)Breweries... ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
And/or good bars...

So, i just got the nod that I'll be working on a new client in the chicago area (I'm from PA) for a few weeks out of the year. I'll be there the week of 12/11 and 1/8/07. And probably a week or so at some point later in 07.

Any members here from Chicago? I'll be going alone, eating alone, etc. so if anyone is in the area, it might be cool to meet at a brewery for some drinks and grub.

If not, can anyone recommend a brewery or two (or three) I could visit while I'm out there? I try to eat at bars and bars only when I travel alone. Makes you look like less of a loser (sitting at a bar alone isn't near as bad as sitting at a table for 4 alone in a regular restaurant). ;)

You've got goose island and rock bottom for sure. I'm sure there are several lesser-known ones too. There are a bunch in the burbs too.

I'm a south-western burb guy. Any idea where about you'll be?

In order of preference:

Goose Island (on Clybourn, in Chicago)
Walter Payton's Roundhouse (in Aurora, 40 miles from downtown)
Three Floyds (in Munster, IN, 40 miles from downtown, but MUCH more convenient than Aurora)
Rock Bottom (there's a few of them around)
Flossmoor Station (In Homewood, IL, maybe 30 miles from downtown)

There are many others I have not tried.

I've heard good things about "Piece" brewing company and they're not too far from Goose Island.

Here's a helpful link for you...

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=chicago

I don't know how often this is updated though, so you might want to Google the brewpubs ahead of time and be sure they're still around.

Not actually sure where the client is yet... Just got the general "Chicago" for now. Awaiting more info this afternoon.

Goose Island is a definite visit for me, I believe.

Anyone heard of any of these (not necessarily breweries but restaurants with A LOT of beers):

Delilah's is Chicago's premiere "cavern tavern." We feature one of the largest drink selections you'll find anywhere, with 135 beers, 125 whiskeys, 400 bottles of booze on the wall, and its all served up in our dark but casual environment.

Quenchers saloon is Located in one of the most vital, urban neighborhoods of Chicago, Logan Square/Bucktown, Quenchers Saloon has been offering a truly extensive selection of beer (Over 200 types of beer, 18 on tap) since opening in 1979. Quenchers now has live entertainment six nights a week showcasing local talent.

At The Map Room, we take beer seriously. We normally serve around 100 unique beers (26 on tap) representing 36 different brewing styles from the U.S. and all over the globe. Our beer menu is constantly changing because we take enormous pride in our selection ensuring freshness and a wide variety.

For suburbanites and out of towners, I thought I should point out that "vital urban neighborhood" means "lock your car doors".

It's not necessarily dangerous- Bucktown is pretty up and coming, trendy, nothing wrong with it. But it still DOES mean "lock your car doors".

Toot;

Yeah, I kind of picked up on that hint. Not sure I'll be going to that one or not. I'll be in a rental car in any case, so it's not like they'd be stealing my 350z or something, but I like my personal safety as well. I've never been to Chicago, thats why I posted this up to see the safer spots, the more casual spots, etc.

Goose Island and their brewpub looks pretty sweet from the website. My distributor actually carries their variety pack, so maybe I'll try it before heading out even. :)

Looking for any suggestions though. I'll post more when I know my location of client (Elster Group) and the hotel I'll be staying at...

There was a lengthy discussion on this awhile back. Take a look here!

Been to Piece and it is excellent. But I gotta warn ya - it gets way too crowded on the weekends!

Hope that helps.:mug:

If you're gonna spend time in Chitown, you've gotta go to the Berghoff, on Adams Street.

They have their own house brand of beer, (brewed by Wiedemann's, I think), but it's very good food, very good beer.

Lat time I was in Chicago I spent a lot of time at The Hopleaf, The Map Room and The Clark Street Alehouse. All of which had great beer selections.

well unfortunately the bergoff is only open for lunch nowdays, but the standing only bar is great.

Delilah's is a must, its a interesting punk/hipster crowd but they have beers no-one else has, and in several vintages. If you go there let me know I'll join you, i live right around the corner. Unfortunately you're just missing their holiday beer tasting on the 8th

Goose Island is great, make sure you go to their location on Clybourn, they carry a lot more of their specialty beers there which you cant find outside the pub.

but I'll also second the Map Room (tons of belgians on tap) the Hopleaf, and the Rock Bottom (great barrel aged beers there right now) quenchers is ok, but kind of out of the way (at least for me)

Back