Carboy Handle doesnt fit new Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bburgbrewer

Reaction score
I just got a 5 gallon glass carboy from the thrift store for free! i immediately went to my lhbs to get a carboy handle..to sadly find out it doesnt fit..any ideas on why this is or what i could do to fix it?
Thanks all

BburgBrewer

Get a brewhauler rig setup. Much easier and less stress on the neck. Who knows what that carboy has been through. Free is good until the neck breaks and your beer is all over your floor. SWMBO has already had my @$$ for beer on the bathroom floor - damn leaking bucket valves. :(

forget about the carboy handle(assuming it's the one that only goes around the neck of the carboy). They are very dangerous. Please, for your own safety, consider a carboy carrier(I'm sure someone can post a pic), or a milk crate to carry your glass carboys.
I'm sure there are people thet will say they have used their carboy handles for a hundred years with no problems, but carrying a glass carboy filled with wort puts a lot of strain on a very focused area of the carboy, which could cause a catastrophic breakage.

Anyone else agree? disagree?

I agree.

There are two different sizes of carboy handles, one that fits 3,5 and 6 gallon. the other fits a 6.5 gallon carboy. hope this helps.

forget about the carboy handle(assuming it's the one that only goes around the neck of the carboy). They are very dangerous. Please, for your own safety, consider a carboy carrier(I'm sure someone can post a pic), or a milk crate to carry your glass carboys.
I'm sure there are people thet will say they have used their carboy handles for a hundred years with no problems, but carrying a glass carboy filled with wort puts a lot of strain on a very focused area of the carboy, which could cause a catastrophic breakage.

Anyone else agree? disagree?

I still use my carboy handles, but only for convenience in moving the carboy when it's empty or for a better grip when rinsing. A full carboy weighs well over 40 lbs. and you're definitely courting disaster carrying it with a handle.

I've been using milk crates to carry full carboys and highly recommend them.

that makes a lot of sense that carrying a carboy with 5 gallons of wort would create a lot of stress on the neck..ill definitely play it safe and see what else my lhbs has to offer..
thanks for the advice

FYI - A neck handle it not designed to lift a carboy that is filled. There is no good way to lift a full carboy by the neck.

The neck handle are a somewhat handier and safer way to carry EMPTY carboys.

FYI - A neck handle it not designed to lift a carboy that is filled. There is no good way to lift a full carboy by the neck.

The neck handle are a somewhat handier and safer way to carry EMPTY carboys.

Beat me to it - I was going to make this very comment.

I've never used brew haulers, but milk crates or a canvas tote bag make handy DIY carriers.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back