Hardware rant!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
So, in an attempt to follow recommendations of HBT members regarding making a mash tun from a cooler I went to my local hardware store to find the necessary supplies........no luck finding the right parts. So I went to the plumbing supply store (large distributor)........no luck but they did recommend I go to Fastenal so I did........no luck. Now I made the mistake of asking the shop employees for help when I got there, then with dumb-founded looks on their faces they aimlessly walked around with a lot of "um...."s. Then when I tried to find the parts myself they followed me around constantly repeating, "yeah, I don't think we have anything like that"!! So I got annoyed and left. REALLY??!! I know that people here have found these parts (flanged nuts, stainless washers, etc.). So now I have to go back later, ignore the "knowlegable" employees and find the stuff myself!!!!
It's not like I was asking for some made up items or NASA equipment..........

You have to go in knowing the real world names of the parts because we're adapting them to non standard use. You didn't say anything about weldless bulkhead right?

What's a flanged nut?

I just put mine together, and very much remember that frustration. Don't worry, you just need to go back and keep looking, it took me a couple of trips. I ended up piecing everything together without staff help - they had no idea what I was doing, and I had no intention to use the parts for their intended purpose.

Some of the stuff I found hard to find, particularly the rubber gasket and stainless washers (that fit over1/2" MIP). I eventually found my gear, but it took a few runs.

Hang in brother. Have a home-brew. :mug:

My first MLT was a cooler with cpvc pipe, a brass barb and some vinyl tubing shoved through the existing hole in the cooler. It can be pretty simple and you can avoid the supply store know nothings. Sometimes you do get lucky and find a guy in the store who is a home brewer - keep searching!

i was going to use a lock washer and the flanged nut on the outside of the cooler to hold the 1/2" nipple (small pipe threaded on both ends) tight against the cooler because the ball valve would not cover the entire pre-existing hole.

I did say I was looking to make a weldless bulkhead and all I got was "huh...."

I was trying to avoid ordering online, trying to help local businesses......HA

My first MLT was a cooler with cpvc pipe, a brass barb and some vinyl tubing shoved through the existing hole in the cooler. It can be pretty simple......

I have been using that same set up for four years. (except I use a braided hose) I use a big binder clip to clamp the tubing to the cooler's handle.

dukes7779, did you follow this thread? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/ If so just take all the Watts numbers down, home depot has all this stuff. As for the stainless washer I also found this in home depot as part of a "create a bolt" kit.

This...
I went to Home Depot, found an older associate, gave her my parts number list. Within 5 minutes, she came back with every part I needed. Gotta love the older associates! Young bucks will follow you around with a deer in the headlights look.

This...
I went to Home Depot, found an older associate, gave her my parts number list. Within 5 minutes, she came back with every part I needed. Gotta love the older associates! Young bucks will follow you around with a deer in the headlights look.

I did the same, but pressured myself to find the items on my own. Good learning experience.

They didn't have the stainless washers at my store, so I had to go to fastenal for that. I called the store, and they put them aside for me. It helped to research the item on their website first, so I could give them the exact part number.

Good luck in your build, man.

I did go back and manage to find most of what I was looking for (ignored the deer in headlights behind the counter who asked if they could help me find anything) and ended up having to improvise on some things...........but man!!!! If I was as useless/clueless and lacked simple problem solving in my job I wouldn't have a job!!!!!!! I just cannot get over it some days.
thanks for listening!! RDWHAHB

I used a rectangular cooler, but other than that, I found everything at Home Depot, and I have used it about twenty times with great results.

Back