I'm Going To Beer College!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
It's like Homer Simpson's dream some true! I will soon be starting a course at Siebel. I just got home from work and checked my e-mail, and found a message with my registration papers and links to order books. Looks like it's time to start studying again, but somehow I don't see it as being a chore as in the past. Just one more step on my way to the greatest career on earth. :rockin::rockin::rockin::rockin:

Wow, congrats!!!!!

I'm 99% sure I'm gonna do this in 2 years when my Air Force gig is up, but I still haven't decided to which school yet. I am leaning towards the UC-Davis program but ABG and Seibel are very tempting as well.

What made you decide on Seibel?

It was a toss up between ABG and Siebel for me right now since I have two jobs, and am not really able to do the campus based thing at the moment so I'm taking the web based course right now. But I have family in Chicago, so it will be a lot easier for me to go their than Cali when I take the campus based classes, and Kieth Lemcke, the VP at Siebel is a really nice guy. I listened to an interview with him, and emailed him, and he seems very willing to help out with anything he can.

CRIKEY! There's an online version of this course?

<OB frantically opens up google>

CRIKEY! There's an online version of this course?

<OB frantically opens up google>
WBA Web-based Concise Course in Brewing Technology

This is the one I'm going to be starting soon.

Web-based Course Syllabus

Brewing Process Overview
Alcohol, Beer and Health
History of Brewing
Beer Styles
The Business of Brewing
Introduction to Sensory
Composition of Grain
Barley Cultivation and Harvesting
Malting
Malt Analysis
Specialty Malts
Enzymes in Brewing
Brewing
Milling
Brewing Calculations
Practical Problems
Adjuncts / Cereal Cooker
Lautering
Mash Filters
Hops
Styles Tasting
Recipe Formulation
Wort Boiling Systems
Wort Clarification
Wort Cooling and Aeration
Brewery Hazards
Nature of Yeast
Fermentation Practices
Yeast Growth and Fermentation
Yeast Maintenance and Propagation
Yeast Management
Control of Fermentation
Flavors
Control of Fermentation Flavors
Maturation and Aging
Colloidal Stability
Flavor Stability
Interpretation of Beer Analysis
Filtration
Carbonation / Air Exclusion
Carbon Dioxide / Collection
Kegging and Dispense
Beer Packaging
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Waste Water
Brewery CIP
Quality Assurance and QC
Biological Control
Pumps and Pipes
Valves

That's awesome! Congrats! :rockin:

And Dude, hope to see you out this way in a couple years...

Dang! I really want to do this in a few years as well. I'm applying for Music grad school at Northwestern in Evanston, and I reallllllyy hope I get it because I'd love to also go to school at Siebel.

applause.gif

COngrats!!!!!

SO you know basically you have to cut and paste everything in the course into here so we can learn as well!!!! :D

Is this a degree program or just like private learning. Thats so cool.

It's a separate course from the degree program, but leads up to the degree program, it's kinda like a prerequisite.

Let me get this straight? Theres colleges that offer a brew class?!?!

Not only that, but Sielbel is only a beer school, they don't teach anything else. It's full name is Siebel Instutute of Technology & World Brewing Academy and is a sister school of Doemens in Munich, Germany.

SO you know basically you have to cut and paste everything in the course into here so we can learn as well!!!!

I hope to have a wealth of new information to share with everyone here. Really, if it weren't for HBT I wouldn't be where I am now, so I owe it to the community to help out as much as I can. Thanks for the kind words everyone, I'm stoked.

I keep telling the SWMBO that I'm going to take brewing courses and let the Navy (GI BILL and Tuitition Assistance pay for it). We are allowed to work on college work while standing watch here where I am at and I think it would be so amusing to have someone say "you can't read about beer right now," and then I get to respond "It's a college course, beeyotch!"

I keep telling the SWMBO that I'm going to take brewing courses and let the Navy (GI BILL and Tuitition Assistance pay for it). We are allowed to work on college work while standing watch here where I am at and I think it would be so amusing to have someone say "you can't read about beer right now," and then I get to respond "It's a college course, beeyotch!"

Not too hijack Barley's awesome thread, but right now the only place that will let you use VA benefits is UC Davis. I've been bugging the crap out of ABG and Seibel to just send in the paperwork and they seem very reluctant. You should send an e-mail to Keith Lemcke at Seibel and urge him to do the paperwork. From what I gather it isn't a long process. Seibel is the place I wanna go, but I can't do the 14 grand tuition for the Master Brewer's Program without my GI Bill. I will settle for UC Davis though. Not too shabby of a resume.

The Navy also has a Tuition Assistance program for active duty, looks like the Air Force has it too. Not sure if it would work for brewing school or not, but I've been told that it will pay for any accredited college course. I don't have the time or the desire right now to do a full program, but the web based class would be interesting.

Apologize for the side conversation here Barleywater, but I think we all dream of going to brew school and doing it on the govt's dime would be the $hit.

The Navy also has a Tuition Assistance program for active duty, looks like the Air Force has it too. Not sure if it would work for brewing school or not, but I've been told that it will pay for any accredited college course. I don't have the time or the desire right now to do a full program, but the web based class would be interesting.

Apologize for the side conversation here Barleywater, but I think we all dream of going to brew school and doing it on the govt's dime would be the $hit.

Again, the school has to be VA accredited. I'd be going to one of the online courses right now if Seibel or ABG would just send in simple paperwork. I've been bugging ABG for about 3 years. I don't get it.

Siebel also offers courses in Montreal. I've been considering it, however I'm working on my ME right now, so that would be a lot of work...

Coast Guard offers TA as well, and I bought a house 20 min from UC Davis. Unfortunately, being active duty, I don't have the time for the UC program. But It's a good thing I signed up for that GI Bill.

:off:
One cool thing being so close to UCD is that my brew club is in Davis and there are quite a few members attending the school with all kinds of cool accesses (yeast harvesting)

Anyways let me know if TA will cover the online course

Again, the school has to be VA accredited. I'd be going to one of the online courses right now if Seibel or ABG would just send in simple paperwork. I've been bugging ABG for about 3 years. I don't get it.

Ah man that would be awesome, my GI Bill is sitting in limbo waiting for use. Maybe us military (or vet) brewers can all do some sort of petition or something to get these guys to do the paperwork.

I don't know how much the GI bill has changed since the 80s, but the amount of money they allowed per class probably wouldn't cover the books at Siebel or ABG. It certainly didn't pay for my books for an ordinary MBA. I suspect we're talking a small fraction of $3200.

I don't know how much the GI bill has changed since the 80s, but the amount of money they allowed per class probably wouldn't cover the books at Siebel or ABG. It certainly didn't pay for my books for an ordinary MBA. I suspect we're talking a small fraction of $3200.

Dude, the GI Bill is pretty friggin awesome now. The benefits of this new program just passed this past year have really made it a HUGE benefit. The initial $1200 investment is up to nearly $1500 a month for (36 months) full time benefits, and not even included in that is they will pay E-5 BAH (housing costs) while you attend school. You can apply a lump sum payment for certificate programs (i.e. Seibel) where they will pay equal to the highest tuition college in your state. You can now transfer those benefits to dependants. You have 15 years to use it after you get out instead of 10. All kinds of other great stuff.

You military people, do me a favor and send a quick e-mail to these people and ask them to submit the paperwork for VA accreditation:

ABG: [email protected]

Seibel: [email protected].

The only way we will ever see them do the paperwork is if they know there is a demand. Send an e-mail!

(sorry for the hijacking Barley!)

I'm going to be doing the basic level course in Feb. I'm pretty excited about it. I figured I would start out small and work my way up. Within' a year or so I'm planing on taking the Diploma course. I'm thinking the Feb - Apr semester because I hear it's Friggin cold in Munich between Sept & Dec.

Congrats:mug:

I'm going to be doing the basic level course in Feb. I'm pretty excited about it. I figured I would start out small and work my way up. Within' a year or so I'm planing on taking the Diploma course. I'm thinking the Feb - Apr semester because I hear it's Friggin cold in Munich between Sept & Dec.

Congrats:mug:

It's friggin cold in Chicago between Sept and Dec also, but then it doesn't warm up until April there, so it's gonna be cold either way. Hopefully I'll be taking the diploma course next year, maybe we'll end up being classmates.

Back