Points in my pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runhard

Reaction score
Took SWMBO to Estes Park, CO for vacation and at the Estes Park Brewery they had a seasonal Pumpkin Ale on Tap; SWMBO loved it so I decided to brew one. I peeled, cubed and roasted 3.5# of pumpking and then mashed it with a big spoon and dumped it into the mash tun. I put in 1/2 my grain bill, followed by the roasted/mashed pumpkin, followed by the remaining grain bill. My question is concerning how much fermentables are contributed by the pumpkin; based on previous efficiencies with a similar grain bill I only got about 3 points. Doesn't that seem low?

Melana said:
fyi - all squash are easier to peel after you roast them.
Note taken and I feel stupid for not thinking about it; I don't know why I didn't think about it since I roast first, peel second when making pumpkin pie. It took long enough to peel the pumpkins, I could've driven to the store bought a few cans of pumpkin and driven back in the amount of time it took just to peel those things. Good news is that I had no problems with stuck sparge or low recirculation rate even with mashing the pumpkins prior to adding to the mash tun.

Anyone know if adding the pumpkin to the mash or fermentation make a difference?
Thanks
runhard

Back