Question for those who have lived in Germany.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Ok had a quick question for those who have lived there, I know there are a few on the board. I have a semester project that I need to pick a city in Germany, to talk about; Landscape, Tourism, well know sports team, neat Architecture, Major industry, Art, Culinary specialties, history, and plan a trip there. What would you say is your favorite city, that would be good to fit most of that criteria? If you had any cool pictures of the area, that I could use, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Ryanh1801 said:
Ok had a quick question for those who have lived there, I know there are a few on the board. I have a semester project that I need to pick a city in Germany, to talk about; Landscape, Tourism, well know sports team, neat Architecture, Major industry, Art, Culinary specialties, history, and plan a trip there. What would you say is your favorite city, that would be good to fit most of that criteria? If you had any cool pictures of the area, that I could use, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

I lived in Mainz a couple of times when I was younger but it was a little too long ago! ...I was about 8. Nice place though ;)

First off I would say that the larger, more touristic cities will be taken...Frankfort/Munich...and probably end up boring.

Pick another city not as well known (by tourist measurement), but pick a time period.

The reason I say that is because many people try to project themselves (me included) into a certain time period and come away with a fantasy that is no where near reality.

Case in point...when have you ever read about a specific time period and the market was NOT described as TERRIBLY SMELLY? I've been to town markets and the odor is deathly...I have more info, but I'm pretty drunk about now...whenecer I use to project myself into a time period, I used to do the market and gasthaus and such...you know...where the REAL people lived....

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been to many cities, but mostly for historical or religious (Reformation and/or Middle Ages) reasons.

Pick a city (I'm not doing your paper for you)...and I may be able to help. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
First off I would say that the larger, more touristic citews will be taken...Frankfort/Munich.

Pick another city not as well known (by tourist measurement).

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I have been to many cities, but mostly for historical or religious (Reformation and/or Middle Ages) reasons.

Pick a city (I'm not doing your paper for you)...and I may be able to help. :D

That was the main reason I wanted some opinions. Not wanting my paper done, just a good city that I can research, I don't want to use a touristy city.

I studied in Cologne/Koln, great city with interesting history. Intersting mix of people as well. My fav city in Germany but moslty b/c I grew to love it - I haven't lived elsewhere.

I lived just outside of Wurzburg, it was a very cool city. Rottenburg is also a very cool city with some interesting history to it. It is one of the few remaining cities that has a wall around it... I may be able to dig up a few pics of those if you decide on either of them.

Nürnberg all the way. My travels across Germany, especially Bayern and Baden-Württemberg, led to realize that historically speaking and culturally Nürnberg is amazing.

Hitler chose the city as the "Most German of all German cities" because of it's influence on German culture and it's proximity inside the country. I'd definitely look into that. North about 30 minutes you have Würzburg which was a very influential religious city for a long time. Then next to that, you have Bamberg which is famous for it's beer and food.

Nürnberg's proximity to important places and it's inherent culture would make it my pick.

Maybe i'll see you over there. I will be going to either the University of Freiburg or the University of Stuttgart come next year.

Trier. Tons of history in that area due to the Roman ruins. It houses Trier cathedral (a beautiful church), and is the home of Karl Marx.

This will get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier

It is an absolutely beautiful city and has a remarkable history. I had the pleasure of visiting it a handful of times and would go back in a second.

Dude said:
Trier. Tons of history in that area due to the Roman ruins. It houses Trier cathedral (a beautiful church), and is the home of Karl Marx.

It is an absolutely beautiful city and has a remarkable history. I had the pleasure of visiting it a handful of times and would go back in a second.

In all honesty, there isnt a city in Germany that I would not want to go back to. Its a great country

Thanks for all the info guys. I have until the 7th to figure out what city im gonna do.

Oh and Klainmeister, I wish the trip was for real, but only fake for now for class purposes. Im hoping to make a trip over there after I graduate before I join the real world.

i would say anywhere in bavaria (basically the SE germany( pre end of cold war))
good food great beers some amazing history and fabulous architecture
nuremburg, regensberg,
i do find it ironic that Hitler called nuremberg the most gterman of german cities, and then the allies held the war crimes trials there

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremburg

Ryanh1801 said:

Thanks in advance.

The time of year would be important to know. Some parts of Germany suck in the winter, while other are great. Summer is pretty much good all over. June is Hop harvest time. Have you seen my German Hop Tour pics?

Heidelberg is probably one of the cities in Germany Americans love. Rich in history, awesome food, etc. Tourism is also big in the area. Heidelberg would be a good pick I guess. Not too big compared to like Berlin.
Other than that you can use pretty much every city in Bayern or Baden-Wuerttemberg. Lake of Constance (Bodensee) and its cities like Lindau or Constance (Konstanz) makes probably also a good pick. Otherwise choose the Chiemsee area in Bayern (Bavaria) which is not very far from Rosenheim and Munich.

The time of year that the trip would be is Dec. 21 to Dec. 23. Heidelberg is definitely out, its talk about in every chapter in our text book, so im sure lots of people will be using it.

My trip to Germany was only 3wks but I really liked Bamburg....it was awesome.

Deffinatly an old, old city

I don't mean to hijack ryans thread but my wife and I have the opportunity to transfer to Kaiserslautern for 3 years and was wondering if anyone had any experience living there and what they thought. If you could please PM me. Thanks.

Dude said:

Went with Trier, I love the old historical stuff, so it seemed fitting. Thank for all the suggestions. :rockin:

jnorris said:
I don't mean to hijack ryans thread but my wife and I have the opportunity to transfer to Kaiserslautern for 3 years and was wondering if anyone had any experience living there and what they thought. If you could please PM me. Thanks.

K-Town is an Army town. You'll like it. It's Germany and you are at the edge of the huge Pfalzer Wald (forest), it's wine country and beer country, so enjoy it. You are an hour away from loads of places to see with things do to. Heidleberg is real close.

Go for it!

I'll have to second ArroganceFans picks of Wuerzburg and Rothenburg.

Especially Wuerzburg. It's a gorgeous town, great architecture and outstanding history.

I lived right outside of trier for almost 3 years. I'll post some pics in a bit. Great area. There is a city just north of Trier called Cochem, that is on the top of my list of favorite places I've ever been.

seefresh said:
I lived right outside of trier for almost 3 years. I'll post some pics in a bit. Great area. There is a city just north of Trier called Cochem, that is on the top of my list of favorite places I've ever been.

That would be awesome, thanks a lot!!!!:rockin:

Back