Palm sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
I'm lucky enough to have access to an amazing international grocery store that has hard-to-find ingredients from around the world (though they're oddly terrible when it comes to Japanese products and food from Hawaii). For homebrewing, that includes a wide variety of sugars that includes jaggery (with the ingredients listing palm sugar) and palm sugar from Thailand.

Is there a difference? The jaggery comes in a 1 lb cone but the Thai palm sugar comes in a 1 lb package divided into a dozen discs, so the Thai sugar would be easier to split for a recipe.

I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but do you know where to find jaggery in Albuquerque? Is it Talin?

I've used Jaggery several times in Belgian Tripels and saisons. I have some palm sugar on hand, but haven't gotten around to using it yet. The jaggery has some nice subtleties to it, but I would only use it in beers that are able to showcase subtle flavors.

I'm not sure about the fermentable differences in the two though.

Back