Would this be strong enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Made of PVC. I think it would be flimsy. Anyone made one like this. Or a easy trellis plan?

image-3941135581.jpg

image-2948219366.jpg

I used galvanized electrical conduit. I'm sure sunlight will break down the pvc over time.

Same design but with metal you think would work. Hang like 3 or 4 strands down to the ground?

I used galvanized electrical conduit. I'm sure sunlight will break down the pvc over time.

Brewer, what size conduit did you use? I need to redesign my setup. Right now I am using a large tree branch that over hangs my brew shed/patio but that tree will need to go sooner or later (starting to hit the corner of my garage) so I need to start thinking about a different way to run my lines up.
Right now I have eight plants, started with two and each year I dig up/cut a rhizome and plant it. I haven't had great success with my plants in the ground so they are all in various size pots, the two oldest of the bunch are in the largest pots. I would love to put them in the ground but don't want them to die like the others I have planted in the ground. I might try the spring cut rhizomes in the ground again and make a bigger hole, mix in some good soil and hope for the best.

That top rail should be continuous if you want to cantilever over the post.

ForumRunner_20121018_070646.jpg

ForumRunner_20121018_070954.jpg

ForumRunner_20121018_071324.jpg

I used chain link fence rail for my vertical posts and ran steel cable across with a twist in anchor with a turnbuckle on each end. The posts are set into PVC sleeves embedded in concrete so they come out clean at the end of the season. Bines climb growing lines that hang from the main. At harvest time its just easy to release the turnbuckle and drop it all down to chest height. Obviously mine is next to the garage so its braced at the soffit height but you could do a free standing version with a set of guy wires perpendicular to the main post.

Fence contractors could probably get you 20' lengths. With 3' below grade that would be a nice height.

Brewer, what size conduit did you use? I need to redesign my setup. Right now I am using a large tree branch that over hangs my brew shed/patio but that tree will need to go sooner or later (starting to hit the corner of my garage) so I need to start thinking about a different way to run my lines up.
Right now I have eight plants, started with two and each year I dig up/cut a rhizome and plant it. I haven't had great success with my plants in the ground so they are all in various size pots, the two oldest of the bunch are in the largest pots. I would love to put them in the ground but don't want them to die like the others I have planted in the ground. I might try the spring cut rhizomes in the ground again and make a bigger hole, mix in some good soil and hope for the best.

I'm used 1/2" conduit. I made two trellis's that sit side by side. I 90'd the top peices and then pounded the striat poles into the ground about 3-4 feet. Then I used braided wire to brace them to adjacent trees for wind protection.

How are you guys dropping them down at the end of the season to harvest?

I don't. I have mine close to a garage and just use a ladder and the garage roof for access. I've never really liked the idea of dropping the bines and harvesting all at once becasue in my experience, the cones mature at different rates depending on when they started to form and shading. I usually do 2-3 harvests per plant and get all the cones at near peak maturity.

How are you guys dropping them down at the end of the season to harvest?

The end of the turnbuckle is a hook that is easy to release once the tension is off. Pull it off the screw in anchor and the weight of the plants pulls the main cable down. I pulled the main cable up a couple feet at a time so all the picking was done at a comfortable height. When the hops were all picked I reset the hook and am now waiting for a good frost.

I'll take a picture this weekend.

Back