Lagering in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellarstar

Reaction score
I about to keg my budvar lager I have been told to keep it at 0'c for 4 weeks. Can I force carbonate it at same time or should I wait till the 4 weeks are up?

Definitely. You may have a little more sediment than you would if you lagered, then transferred, but it won't be much and will clear out after your first 1-2 pours.

It's a matter of preference. I have frequently lagered that cold. Also, every commercial brewery I have ever worked in, bar one, would drop temp to 32-33F for crashing or final lagering... (the one that didn't didn't have the capability of doing so.) I would only drop it that far once you are sure that fermentation had finished and you were in a strictly conditioning stage

I do my lagering using ice water, so the temp is usually at 32f/0c unless I forget to add more. It works just fine.

I do lagers in a keg in my kegerator. I put them on co2 for the first 3 weeks or so and then let them set in there for the lagering time. I then use a jumper to transfer to a new fresh keg once lagering is complete

There's no need to transfer unless you're going to move the keg (take it camping, etc.).

Back