Rolls Royce of HB Courses!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
If you have a few extra bucks laying around, here is something to look into:

[FONT=Arial,Bold]
Siebel Institute / Fort Lewis College
Advanced Homebrewing Program​
[/FONT]
Jul. 23 – Jul 27, 2007​
[FONT=Arial,Italic]
Tuition: $1,650​
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold]
Held at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado
See the bottom of this page for registration information.​
[/FONT]
The first-ever advanced one-week program designed specifically for homebrewers, the Advanced
Homebrewing Program takes hobby brewers beyond beer kits and extract brewing into the realm
of advanced brewing techniques. And it goes beyond simple classroom instruction: This is a total
brewing experience.​
12​
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
The Program and Content​
[/FONT]
The Siebel Institute of Technology, America’s oldest & most respected brewing school, has drawn
on over 130 years of experience in training professional brewers to create this program. Siebel
Institute created the content of the Advanced Homebrewing Program by adapting our
professional educational content for application in the small-scale environment of homebrewing.
Course materials concentrate on giving brewers the control they need to create the results they
are looking for, no matter how complex the beer style or recipe.
The Advanced Homebrewing Program will take students past their basic homebrewing skills and
allow them to brew with greater ease, flexibility, and accuracy. The course content for this
program addresses every key area of small-scale brewing:
Brewing Process
Brewing Water
Composition of Grain & Malting
Specialty Malts & Adjuncts/Cereals
Hops & Other Herbs
Brewing Calculations & Recipe Formulation
Milling & Adjunct Preparation
Enzymes in Brewing
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Preparation to Brew
Mashing
Sparging & Lautering
Wort Boiling
Wort Clarification
Wort Cooling and Aeration
Nature of Yeast & Yeast selection
Fermentation Practices
Maturation & Aging
Clarification & Filtration
Carbonation / Air Exclusion
In-package Conditioning
Basic Home Draught Systems
Yeast Handling
Sensory Evaluation
The course will be conducted in an environment that allows students to participate in the brewing
process while lectures are conducted. The brew system and accessories are provided by one of
the industry’s leading suppliers of small brewing equipment: Beer, Beer, and More Beer. Students
will learn on a variety of equipment configurations ranging from inexpensive “stovetop systems” to
advanced stainless multi-vessel tower configurations.​
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
The Instructors​
[/FONT]
If an educational program is only as good as its educators, this is the PhD program of
homebrewing. The Siebel Institute of Technology is proud to offer three of their most recognized
faculty members as lead instructors in the Advanced Homebrewing Program:
Ray Daniels is the author of​
[FONT=Arial,Italic]Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide To Brewing Classic Beer
Styles
[/FONT], and co-author of [FONT=Arial,Italic]Brown Ales [/FONT]and [FONT=Arial,Italic]Smoked Beers[/FONT]. His books and lectures on beer design
have helped countless brewers formulate award-winning beers based on classic styles, modern
techniques, and their own vision of the perfect beer.
Chris Graham is the Vice-President of Beer, Beer, & More Beer, one of the world’s largest
retailers of equipment & supplies for home and craft brewers. Chris & More Beer provide the
equipment used in the Advanced Homebrewing Course, including the amazing “Sculpture”
brewing system that brings the consistency & control of a professional brew system to the hobby
brewer.
Randy Mosher is the author of “The Brewers Companion” and the upcoming “Radical Brewing:
Recipes, Tales, And World-Altering Meditations In A Glass”. Randy has contributed articles
regarding brewing and beer styles to some of the world’s leading brewing publications, and is
currently the Homebrew Editor and a contributing writer for All About Beer magazine. He has

13​
lectured on brewing & beer styles across the country (including at the Smithsonian Institution) and
has been involved in an ongoing effort to revive extinct historical beers.
Dr. Chris White holds an M.S. and a Ph.D. in Biochemistry from the University of California, San
Diego, as well as a B.S. in Biochemistry from The University of California, Davis. Dr. White is a
lecturer in the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department at the University of California, San Diego.
Chris is president of White Labs, Inc. Pure Yeast & Fermentation, a company that has been the
standard of excellence for service to the homebrewing and professional brewing communities
since 1995.​
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
The Extracurricular Activities: Welcome to Durango​
[/FONT]
You may have wondered….”Why Durango, Colorado?”
Durango is one of Colorado’s most unique tourist destinations. With a population of only 16,000
people and 4 breweries, Durango has one of the highest ratios of breweries-to-residents in the
world! It is also the home of Fort Lewis College, which is known as the “Campus In The Sky” to
the students attending this beautiful location. Perched on a hill overlooking the town of Durango,
Fort Lewis College is set amongst beautiful rolling hills that form the perfect frame for this
postcard of a community.
The staff of Fort Lewis and the brewers from the surrounding community are joining forces to
show the students of the Advanced Homebrewers Program all of the fun and hospitality of
Durango. Post-school activities will include tours of area breweries, dining at some of the many
brewpubs and beer-friendly restaurants, and meeting with local homebrewers and craft brewers
for spirited conversations over handcrafted beer. On nights with no scheduled events, students
can travel to any of the many area attractions (try mountain biking or ride the narrow gauge train)
or just relax and take at one of Durango’s dozens of restaurant & bars.​
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
Need More Information About The Course?​
[/FONT]
You can get more information about the content of the Advanced Homebrewing Program by
contacting Keith Lemcke of the Siebel Institute of Technology at [email protected].​
[FONT=Arial,Bold]
Need More Information About The College And The Town? Want To Register For The
Program?​
[/FONT]
The staff of Fort Lewis College will handle all the registration and accommodation details. For
more information, you can contact:
Gigi Duthie
970-247-7440
fax: 970-247-7680​
School Address: Fort Lewis College
Office of Extended Studies
450 Berndt Hall
1000 Rim Drive
Durango, CO 81301
For registration, you can secure you space in the Advanced Homebrewing Program by Visa,
Mastercard, and Discover, check or cash.​

We have tuition assistance at work. I'm using it to get my MBA, but this sounds like more fun. Do you think I could make a case for brewing being work-related? :D

I have Continuing Ed money as well. If I say it is a "spirit" -ual retreat do you think it would fly? What about a course on practical miracles: Turning water into barleywine?

Brewpastor said:
I have Continuing Ed money as well. If I say it is a "spirit" -ual retreat do you think it would fly? What about a course on practical miracles: Turning water into barleywine?

Durango is one of my favorite places.

BP: You'll be teaching them I presume.:D

Maybe next year I won't be in the middle of a product launch. Load the greyhounds in the RV and make a road trip out of it!

I will have my re-enlistment bonus by then:ban: ...although the wife would probably kill me for spending 2 grand...

Dan

So, what I hear is that NEXT year, the HBT team needs to use up some mancation allowance and take a class together. Right?

I remember being at a gasthaus/brauerei near Spalt, Germany (north of Treuchlingen and southwest of Nurnberg) where they offer brewing classes for 1 week.

It was only 600 euros (about $780 now) and that included your hotel room and meals along with the training. :D

....I could buy the books that the instructors have published for $75. Read them and talk to some head brewers around here and most likely get the same information. Savings of....$1575 (not to discredit the instructors though...i agree, they are a dream team)

Ever since I heard Chris White talk about the course, I have longed for it. However, I never thought about getting tuition assistance. I doubt my work would go for it.

my employer offers 2k per year for tuition assistance and the classes do NOT have to be work related.... Unfortunately, I won't qualify for it by July. Plus I would have to pay for a flight, hotel, food, and beer.... Maybe next year!

That looks like it would be a great experience.

Can't afford anywhere near that with three kids in college.

I'll have to improve my beerducation one batch at a time.

Hmmm... $2,000 (all in cost) divided by $25.00 10-gallon batches...I'd get 80 batches done.

I recon I'll be a better brewer 80 batches from now.

the_bird said:
That's actually not a bad idea...

I'll split a hotel room with you. My wife usually gives me a few days of mancation each year. Spooning and Cuddling will require you to cover 75% of the hotel.

Cheesefood said:
I'll split a hotel room with you. My wife usually gives me a few days of mancation each year. Spooning and Cuddling will require you to cover 75% of the hotel.

"Where's your hand?"

"Between two pillows......"

"Those aren't pillows!!!!"

Back