Irish Red Ale Chairman Meow Proletarian Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedTail

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Tasting Notes
Balanced and delicious. Great everyday drinker.
Since I started brewing I wanted to develop a red ale that wasn't just your typical Irish Red. I wanted it to have an American hop slant to it. After numerous trials (an many errors) I finally nailed it.

This has become my haus brew. It's a session red that everybody who's tried it loves it. It's well-balanced, with a good malt sweetness an APA-like hoppiness.

I'll eventually try to convert this to a PM recipe, but the extract version comes out really nice.

BTW, the label below received honorable mention in BYO's 2011 Homebrew Label Contest.

*********EDIT**************
I've tried this recipe with Briess LME and Northern Brewer LME. The batch where I used Northern Brewer LME (depicted below) was much better in my opinion.

Fermentables
3.15 lbs Amber LME
3.15 lbs Extra Light LME (late addition)
1lb Extrat Light DME
6oz Caramel 80L
3oz Special B
2oz Roasted Barley

Hops
1oz Mt Hood (6 AAU) @ 60 min
.5oz Centennials (9.2 AAU) @ 10 min
.5oz Cascades (5.5 AAU) @ 10 min
.5oz Centennials (9.2 AAU) @ 1 min
.5oz Cascades (5.5 AAU) @ 1 min
1oz Centennials (9.2 AAU) Dry-hop (optional)

Yeast
US-05

chairman_photo.jpg

4728-chairmanmeow.jpg

sounds great and looks delicious, I love US-05. The name is hilarious, great work on your labels!

Thanks! The name is sort of poking fun at some of my relatives on my father's side. I recently found out some of them were supporters of the local communist party back in Italy.

I find it funny because many of those same people later came here and adopted (and prospered) under American capitalism. Pretty ironic.

I was originally going to call it Red Scare, but I went with Chairman Meow because all of my other beers are named after my cats in some way.

Man, that roasted barley really gives it a nice color! I am brewing a red this weekend that is somewhat similar, but think I am going to give yours a try for my next brew!

Just brewed this. Cant wait to try it. Thanks.

Glad to hear it!

I just brewed an Irish version of this:

6.3lbs Northern Brewer Maris Otter LME (add half at the end of the boil)
6 oz Caramel 80L
4 oz Golden Naked Oats
3 oz Special B
1.5 oz Roasted Barley

Hopped with EKG hops to 25 IBUs
Fermented S-04

Brewed this on March 5th, my OG was spot on with the recipes! I am looking forward to trying this. I was going to add Irish Moss, but forgot to, but I'm not worried since the recipe didn't call for it.

Came out more of a brownish tinge, but hopefully once all the floaties and such filters down, it will have a nice red hue!

what was the batch size? the light LME says late addition, how late was it added?

recipe looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Well, mine didn't exactly turn out red! Lol.. smelled and tasted good though. Not really sure what I did wrong.

Cooked this up three weeks ago. pitched with Wyeast American Ale. Added 1lb. corn sugar to push up the ABV (i broke my hydrometer picking it up to measure! Borrowed one that maxed out at 1.060 on this. suspect it was closer to 1.070). also used a full 7# of amber LME instead of 6.3. dry-hopping later today, then planning to transfer to secondary next week. Also planning to add some oak to the secondary. from my reading, i expect 1-2oz of oak for 1-2 weeks will be about what I'm looking for, then into the bottle for a few weeks!

At last check, gravity was about 1.015, but the flavor was still a little sweet and pretty 'raw.' that was about a week and a half ago (super quick fermentation overnight, so i never saw a bubble and got suspicious!). color was a beautiful dark amber. i'm hoping the dry hop will balance the flavor a bit, and i decided to add the oak to warm up the profile a bit. will keep you posted.

EXTREMELY excited about this beer.

**UPDATE**
Dry-hopping balanced out the sweetness A LOT, still decided to oak it - why not? tasted it a couple of days in, and the subtle oak at that point was quite pleasant (onlyl problem so far is i lost a TON of volume in the transfer - i'm down to a 4 gal batch). checking again in a couple of days, at which time i fully expect it to be done. after that I'll bottle (don't want it on the oak chips for too long!) and I expect it to take 1-2 mo. in bottle before it's really ready, flavor-wise. it's a hell of a build-up, but i'm expecting a hell of a payoff!

I'm ready to bottle this beer, but seeing as it my first time not using a kit, I am not entirely sure how much corn sugar to add for priming. Does anyone have any ideas or volumes that have worked well for them?

Back