Do I need a washer between this regulator and my C02 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
Until just recently reading up a bit, I didn't know it was common to need washers between the regulator and C02 tank. Though, I have read that some regulators are made so you don't need a washer. Here's a picture of my reg. As you can see there is a black rubber gasket on mine. Is this sufficient or do I need a washer as well. The reason I ask, is that I think I may have a very slow leak somewhere in my setup and am wondering if this could be the culprit.

photo95.JPG

I would put one in there...one time use, about 15 cents, and piece of mind...but, i haven't heard of one that doesnt't use one, so i could be wrong...

Best thing is to spray every connection with soap/starsan/sanitizer solution, and check for leaks.

I would put one in there...one time use, about 15 cents, and piece of mind...but, i haven't heard of one that doesnt't use one, so i could be wrong...

Best thing is to spray every connection with soap/starsan/sanitizer solution, and check for leaks.

I have and haven't found any leaks as of yet using both a soapy solution and starsan. I know the online sites cary these washers...is it anything special? Something I can get at home depot/lowes?

I think its a fiber washer, but i know some people have cut them from gasket kits sold at the hardware stores..my local homebrew store (lhbs) had them for cheap if you have one nearby...otherwise, search the forums and see what you find

Good luck! Leaks are a pain

I think its a fiber washer, but i know some people have cut them from gasket kits sold at the hardware stores..my local homebrew store (lhbs) had them for cheap if you have one nearby...otherwise, search the forums and see what you find

Good luck! Leaks are a pain

Thanks. Yeah, looks like my LHBS does carry them. I'll pick one up this weekend. Hopefully that'll take care of it.

Bobby_M said:
That's a double seal oring already in the groove on that flange. No extra gasket needed.

There you go! Double check your connections? Or bobby, do those wear out?

There you go! Double check your connections? Or bobby, do those wear out?

I was thinking the same thing, although mine does seem to be in decent shape. If I did put a washer on it, is it one of those things that would do more harm than good since it's not designed to use one, or would it be ok to throw one on there, just to eliminate that problem from the equation?

You could put a washer on, but I'd take the oring out of the slot first. The oring might be failing, but you should be able to carefully take it out and inspect the sealing surfaces for nicks. If it's leaking though, a soapy water test would reveal it.

Why do you think you have a slow leak?

You could put a washer on, but I'd take the oring out of the slot first. The oring might be failing, but you should be able to carefully take it out and inspect the sealing surfaces for nicks. If it's leaking though, a soapy water test would reveal it.

Why do you think you have a slow leak?

Well, the last 2 tanks I've bought have lasted me only 2.5 kegs or so. I have checked every possible place that I can think of for leaks. I've applied soapy water and starsan to all of my keg posts/poppets and lid. I've replaced all of my lines and have submerged my ball-lock connectors in water to monitor for bubbles. Maybe it's such a slow leak that it doesn't show on the soapy water test??? The only thing left that I could think of is the regulator. I use teflon tape around the threads of the C02 tank and usually apply a little keg lube to that o-ring on the regulator before tightening it down. I don't know really what else to look for at this point.

I was thinking the same thing, although mine does seem to be in decent shape. If I did put a washer on it, is it one of those things that would do more harm than good since it's not designed to use one, or would it be ok to throw one on there, just to eliminate that problem from the equation?

Slow leak is way more likely on the low pressure side. On the high pressure side it's pretty much "works or it don't"

I use teflon tape around the threads of the C02 tank and usually apply a little keg lube to that o-ring on the regulator before tightening it down. I don't know really what else to look for at this point.

You shouldn't need teflon tape on the CO2 tank/regulator thread, thats what the gasket/o-ring is for. The tape might actually be stopping the connection from tightning all the way down and sealing on the gasket or oring.

I had a keg with an incredibly slow leak... turns out it was around the blow-off valve. to find a leak you pretty much have to douse every seam, seal and connection with soapy water. I would recommend trying it at a few different pressures as well. some leaks naturally seal at higher pressures, some do the opposite. try leak testing at 5psi, 10psi, 20psi, 35psi.

You shouldn't need teflon tape on the CO2 tank/regulator thread, thats what the gasket/o-ring is for. The tape might actually be stopping the connection from tightning all the way down and sealing on the gasket or oring.

Aah! That actually makes sense. I'll make sure to remove the tape. In the meantime, I'll keep monitoring it. I have tried to test for leaks at around 10PSI as well as around 25 or 30...still haven't found the culprit yet. Who knows, maybe it is the teflon tape...I hope so. As always, thanks for the help guys!

Back