Introducing Brett during bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogguruami

Reaction score
Is there a way to introduce Brett to a brew directly into the bottles? (I hope that question made sense!) I don't have enough equipment to have anything dedicated to sours but I have a brew that I would LOVE to get some of the Brett funk and sourness into.

My boyfriend and I were discussing soaking oak chips in a starter of Brett and adding one oak chip into each bottle. With the idea of limiting the exposure of the rest of the brewing equipment to the Brett. Would that work or it there another way to do what I want.

In case it matters, the brew is a Saison style Braggot using a Saison yeast. I want to add Brett to half of it. It will age in the bottled for a MINIMUM of 9 months (but as all good meads do, will likely need to be aged much longer).

I would be inclined to use Brett Claussenni for bottling to reduce the risk of bottle bombs. It doesn't seem to super attenuate like Lambicus and the others.

I would be inclined to use Brett Claussenni for bottling to reduce the risk of bottle bombs. It doesn't seem to super attenuate like Lambicus and the others.

How much gas does Brett give off then? I guess I need a Brett 101!! LOL

The easiest way to do it IMO would be to add it to the bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it.... However, if you are overly paranoid the thought of Brett in your bottling bucket might unsettle you. I would just fill it with water and bleach for a while and call it good personally... some people aren't that comfortable with Brett though.

You could always go for a second bottling bucket for sours only though.

edit:

OT: Do you mind posting the recipe for your Saison Braggot? I have been working on a recipe for quite a while and would love to see what you have done.

Back