Sam Adams Utopias Glassware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric_Duel

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the Utopias glasses for sale anywhere? I have a bottle of Utopias and it would be nice to have the appropriate glassware. Another addition to the collection as well.

They look like a brandy snifter. Very small, probably only 4 ounces to fill it. It's no taller than 4 inches and it says Utopias on the side.
I can't even find a picture, nevermind finding the glass.

If you've ever seen the Modern Marvels Brewing, Koch holds one while talking about Utopias.

sailman said:
Where can you find this beer? I would love to try one.

They were brewed in 01, 03, and 05 and are pretty much sold out. eBay still has some but they're going for around $250 each now. I bought a couple last year and have yet to try them. Anyone heard if they're going to continue them? One eBay seller was flat out stating they were never going to be brewed again but that might just be eBay sales hype. Also check eBay for the glasses... I've seen them there now and then.

I read on beeradvocate that they were skipping a year, not sure if they meant this year or next.

http://beeradvocate.com/news/stories_read/f-825005

Anybody up for a beer run?

samuel-adams-barrel-aged-02.jpg

That pallet of Utopias is pretty interesting. Any idea what the story is on those? What year? SA's private reserve stock maybe?

Has anybody ever thought about how you could make something in the vein of a Utopias? I know you would really need their "ninja yeast," but what if you started with the biggest barleywine recipe you could find, doubled it, did a true secondary fermentation with a champaign yeast, add some oak chips, did a third fermentation, aged it forever - how close do you think you could come? Could you make an uber-thick, malty, hoppy beer with alcohol of 16% - 18%?

Eric_Duel said:
I found mine at Wegman's. It was about $140-145 plus tax.

It's beautiful... [tear]

:)

If Wegman's still has them, I'd buy a few... that's a steal.

the_bird said:
Has anybody ever thought about how you could make something in the vein of a Utopias? I know you would really need their "ninja yeast," but what if you started with the biggest barleywine recipe you could find, doubled it, did a true secondary fermentation with a champaign yeast, add some oak chips, did a third fermentation, aged it forever - how close do you think you could come? Could you make an uber-thick, malty, hoppy beer with alcohol of 16% - 18%?

I've seen several posts on other boards with people trying to make this. SA ferments it some insane number of times (8, 10?... don't remember). It sounds like a pretty painful process and it's part of the reason for the hefty price tag. I think one guy got his clone to 21%... I think the last batch of Utopias were around 25%. I don't remember if he posted what his clone actually tasted like though. :)

If ya started it with a good scottish ale yeast that would get ya to 13%ish pretty ez, then could possibly finish it off with distilling yeast, should get ya to around 25% ABV

It's not something I plan on doing, I'm just curious whether anyone has done or heard of someone doing something like that. Although, I do have a couple of 3 gallon carboys that I could use for long-term aging...

I wasnt planning on it either, BUT . . . since it was mentioned I did some number crunching . . .

I figure you would need a OG of 1.195. That means for a 5 gallon batch you're looking at about 38.5lbs of malt (used 2 row in Promash with 75% efficency), -OR- 21 lbs of generic light DME -OR- 28lbs of generic light LME.

If my math is right your's looking at about 40 gallons of water if ya fly sparge
I'm thinking I would almost have to make 3 sperate mashes and boil them down then combine them into 1 final boil to add hops.

If I get a wild hair up me arse and decide to try this (and I just may) I think I would use the DME in 4 gallons of water. Bring the 4 gallons of water to a boil remove heat then use a paint strier on my drill to mix it up, THEN do my steeping grains seperate in another few gallons mix the 2 and boil them down . . . god knows WTF I would do for hops. . . probably aim for about 70 - 140 IBU's and call it a English Barley Wine.

**EDIT**
Brewers Gold 4 oz 7%AA 60min
Bullion 2 oz 7%AA 40min
Fuggles 2oz 5%AA 20min
EK Goldings 2oz 4.75%AA at flame out

108.8 IBU's

I believe a large amount of fermentables is added via maple syrup, so you could keep the grain bill smaller and thus have a smaller mash. That's a lot of boiling otherwise...

[EDIT] I just read your other thread. You're a maniac... :cheers: [/EDIT]

Back