What should my first purchase be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unfabled

Reaction score
I was considering getting a kit from my local home brewing store but if I can start working on a higher capacity setup right away - that's what I'd prefer to do.

If I'm going to search on Craigslist or whatever..in your opinion what should I try to get first?

I've got $300 to spend right now.

I am in a beer brewing class and spent $145.00 on a complete kit with everything including 2 cans of liquid mash (Iron Man Porter)
2 6 gallons /1 with spigot , Cap,Hydrometer.Thermometer,Bottling Tube, Capper, Caps
Tube,Siphon Pull,Sugar, Beer , sterilizer , I love everything about this hobby so far.

Here is what I would buy:
- 6 gal better bottle for a fermenter
- plastic bucket with spigot and bottle filler for bottling
- carboy cap and length of tubing for a blow-off hose
- roll of siphon tubing (cheaper so you can replace it frequently)
- autosiphon (if you got the bucks anyways, otherwise do my $3 replacement)
- O2 injection system (if you like big beers, otherwise a tennis ball will work)
- a GOOD capper (bench capper or one of those Italian metal wing cappers)
- a GOOD hydrometer (triple scale ones are nice) and cylinder
- a GOOD thermometer
- big funnel (for getting wort into your Better Bottle)
- bottle of Star San sanitizer
- copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" book

You can get one of those beginner kits, but you will end up replacing much of the equipment in them with better quality stuff anyways. You might as well start with stuff you will always use, IMHO.

:mug:

Good Point I will be purchasing Glass after my beginner buckets are used up
They will go bad after awhile with light and oxygen taking its toll on them.

Glass is fine too. That's what I primarily use, but I recently bought a Better Bottle carboy and so far I like it.

I bought the "deluxe starter kit" from Northern Brewer and I'm quite happy with it. it comes with everything you need including 2 fermentors (6 and 5 gal) the red Emily capper, autosiphon, bottling bucket, and a bunch of other stuff. It was ~$160 with shipping (i think another $20 if you get glass carboys instead of Better Botles). Good selection of stuff, I haven't needed anything else, other than bottles and ingredients. The kit had everything I was planning on buying seperately and then some, and it worked out less than buying individually, so it worked perfectly for me, and they shipped it quite quickly. NORTHERN BREWER: Beer Starter Kits

I bought the "deluxe starter kit" from Northern Brewer and I'm quite happy with it. it comes with everything you need including 2 fermentors (6 and 5 gal) the red Emily capper, autosiphon, bottling bucket, and a bunch of other stuff. It was ~$160 with shipping (i think another $20 if you get glass carboys instead of Better Botles). Good selection of stuff, I haven't needed anything else, other than bottles and ingredients. The kit had everything I was planning on buying seperately and then some, and it worked out less than buying individually, so it worked perfectly for me, and they shipped it quite quickly. NORTHERN BREWER: Beer Starter Kits

This is the kit I also bought to get me started with Home Brewing. I like it alot, and the plastic is great, cause i dropped the primary the first week and it just bounced. I think it is a great way to get started.

Here is what I would buy:
- 6 gal better bottle for a fermenter
- plastic bucket with spigot and bottle filler for bottling
- carboy cap and length of tubing for a blow-off hose
- roll of siphon tubing (cheaper so you can replace it frequently)
- autosiphon (if you got the bucks anyways, otherwise do my $3 replacement)
- O2 injection system (if you like big beers, otherwise a tennis ball will work)
- a GOOD capper (bench capper or one of those Italian metal wing cappers)
- a GOOD hydrometer (triple scale ones are nice) and cylinder
- a GOOD thermometer
- big funnel (for getting wort into your Better Bottle)
- bottle of Star San sanitizer
- copy of John Palmer's "How to Brew" book

You can get one of those beginner kits, but you will end up replacing much of the equipment in them with better quality stuff anyways. You might as well start with stuff you will always use, IMHO.

:mug:

Exactly. Great list.. thanks a lot.

Back