Sampling from a Lagering Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
I'm close to trying my first lagering-in-a-keg operation. I was wondering if there's any downside to popping the gas line and picnic tap on it (@ 10psi) when I want to sample it, and just dispensing a couple ounces through the tap. I figure this is easier and safer than opening the entire keg up just to see if my beer is ready to put on tap, y'know?

Anyone do this?

IMHO you'll be fine. After purging the headspace in the keg, I usually, end up lagering 6-8 weeks, and at somepoint just connect the beer line to it, and take weekly samples. You may want to turn your CO2 volumes down for serving.

Awesome, I was wondering the same thing. I have a Maibock that's been lagering for a few weeks, I want to test it at some point next month.

TexLaw said:
I do it all the time. In fact, I just carbonate the thing and leave it in the corner of the keezer.

TL

Same here. Just be careful, I find myself drinking way too much way too soon.

I actually have a very small cobra tap just for the purpose of sampling, I put the thing on and use the pressure that has built up due to fermentation to force about 4 oz of beer out of the keg.

paulthenurse said:
Agreed. Go drink something else for a while. Let the kids grow up.

Hey, hey, relax. I just racked to the kag last night! I'm not talking about taking samples for at least 8 weeks---when it might be approached readiness. And even then...well...you've seen how much beer I have. No worries on the whole "drinking too much too soon" front, none at all. I did have a glass last night from the stuff that wouldn't fit in the keg...it was great.

Back