Advice on Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popscube

Reaction score
I am making an English Brown Ale and it has been in the fermenter for a week and there are some bubbles still in the airlock. The recipe says I can bottle after a week of fermenting, but I'm wondering if it would help to put it in a secondary fermenter and letting it sit for another week. The last time I let something sit in the primary for a week and then went straight to bottle the F.G. was correct but I kept on needing to clean my siphon. I don't want to pop it open yet and take a reading until I have a better idea of what I want to do afterwards. Would it hurt the flavor or anything by letting it sit in a secondary for a week? Would it become any clearer? Would I be better off waiting just a couple more days and the let the air lock clear completely?

Thanks,
popscube

:mug: A lot of the people have been just letting it sit in the primary for up to a month and skipping the secondary all together. I have let my last brews sit for 2 weeks and 3 weeks in the primary and then bottling, I think they have gotten better with the bulk conditioning.:mug: Anyways I would not rack into the secondary until it has reached FG, the secondary is for clearing if that is important for the style.

I stopped doing a secondary a long time ago. There are very few beers that will benefit from it. I leave all my beers in primary for 2 weeks of an average gravity ale and up to 6 weeks on lagers.

i rarely bottle beers before at least 3 weeks in teh carboys (primary only, usually). those yeasties are done eating most of the sugars, but they're still cleaning up after themselves and eventually they'll settle out. time only makes your beer better.

I would NEVER bottle after only a week.

:mug:

What about 8 days? A co-worker is going to the middle east shortly so I helped him w/ his first brew (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone). We want it ready to drink by Christmas so we're bottling tomorrow night.

Back