Is This Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbobo

Reaction score
Did a couple quick google searches and checked the FAQ but saw on one site that anything oddly colored (green, orange) could be signs of a bacterial infection. Looks like yeast to me, but was careful not to transfer any of the cake to the secondary. This is my first brew and want to know if I should transfer into a third carboy fermentor to help heal the batch?
Sorry if this is a stupid question, heres a picture!

image-1.jpg

image.jpg

I think you are OK. The floaters look like floating trub and the bubbles are normal - some of mine have looked like this in primary. I just wonder why this is happening in secondary without at least some trub being transferred.

What all went into primary?

Well that makes me feel a little better. The only thing that concerns me is that there hasn't been any bubble action in the airlock since transferring over to the secondary. Used Wyeast 3944.
Thanks for the quick replies

Its possible some might have slipped through, but used a strainer (read: double stainless steel vent mesh) when putting it in the secondary. The Primary did have a little "run off" you could say.. Some of the hop cake in the bottom of the boiler did get into primary.

It is very normal to not have any airlock activity in the secondary. In fact, I would be surprised if there was.
Some people have mentioned complete fermentation without any airlock activity. Keep in mind that airlock activity is not necessarily the best indication of fermentation. The single best way to determine effective fermentation is through gravity readings. So, RDWHAHB.

Next item, which is cause more concern than the first. I don't recommend straining into the secondary. You should siphon into the secondary. At that point in the fermentation process you don't want to expose your beer to oxygen. It can cause off flavors. Some have described it as wet cardboard. Get an autosiphon. It is worth the money.

Back