Bourbon Vanilla Stout Feedback Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad1776

Reaction score
I'm brewing this in 3 weeks and wanting feedback before I brew please and thank you! This is my second brew and my first crack and modifying a kit.

The basic kit is the Jasper's Ghosts of Bardstown Bourbon Vanilla Stout. I like the recipe, but would like it a little "bigger" and darker. I've seen and partaken of other stouts with brown sugar and molasses in the recipes, and I know sugar will up my abv, so I thought I'd tweak it by adding a cup each of those. I thought perhaps the oak chips might cut back on the sweetness a little and add a some roasted flavor to the batch.

My plan is to brew the recipe with my tweaks.

Grains:
13 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
5 oz Chocolate Malt
4oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
3 oz Chocolate Wheat Malt

Liquid Extracts
6 lbs 9.6 oz Light Dry Extract
1 lb 1.6 oz Wheat Liquid Extract

Hops
1 oz Columbus (Boil 60.0 min)
1 oz Liberty (Boil 60.0 min)

2 packages Safale American US-05 yeast (recipe calls for 1, I am adding an addition package)

2 vanilla beans soaked in 12 oz bourbon 21 days (added in at bottling time)

Here's what I want feedback on - my additions/tweaks:
8 oz Brown Sugar (when should I add - I'm thinking last 10 min of boil?)
8 oz Molasses (last 10 min of boil?)
4 oz light Oak chips (Secondary 14 days)

I also plan on bottling with 4 oz of corn sugar (the recipe calls for this).

Wondering if I missed anything, if the brown sugar AND molasses is overkill since brown sugar is basically white sugar with molasses added? If only one, which one?

I appreciate any help!

Back