I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you say that because I'm actually picking up two pairs of uniform pants for him this week! We're cool now, but it was weird at first because he has over 20 years on and is quite a bit older than me.

It's probably nice having someone with some experience around.

You're making crave corned beef with this talk of cabbage. Hey AB can you pick some up for me at one the delis up there?

Well I've really enjoyed the company on here but I am done with the site.

In another thread someone referred to the NRA as the IRA, a terrorist group.
When I responded in a way that I felt was appropriate for what he said, I got reprimanded.
The person calling so many Americans terrorists is fine though.

Don't need it, but figured I would stop into this thread and say it's been fun.
You guys are great.

I don't mean to get in the way of this thread's good vibes so I'll keep it short.

The reprimanding was entirely justified, for exactly the reasons given. There may be some mods on this site who abuse their position or are otherwise prone to being less than objective, but I am pretty sure that just about every long-time member here knows that Pappers is probably the FURTHEST one from this. It sucks that you feel the need to leave over this, but it's unfair - if not entirely dishonest - to blame anyone else (and Peppers especially!) for it. Though something tells me you'll be back.

[And now back to your regularly scheduled programming:::]

My older brother had this album on eight track. We were around 16 and 13. What year was that? 1977 We used to crank it up on our parents' Hi-Fi stereo when they weren't home. You had to slide a folded card or something into one side of the eight-track player or the tape would jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what happened in that debate, but I can definitely vouch for Pappers as well. I've never seen him come even close to acting like a d!ck. I'm happy to see passedpawn and Homer get that responsibility, and am sure they will come into their own nicely. This forum could definitely benefit from some higher quality moderation than I've seen in the past.

I wonder what perks the mods have outside of being the gods of the forum. Free GABF tickets? Or a bumper sticker like the ones we get?

This is actually one of the departments policies that I believe they get right. This first promotion puts one in a position where being in charge of the people who one has worked with as equals for so long would cause uncomfortable situations. It's definitely better this way. Not to mention, it's nice to get to know a new part of the city.

emjay said:
Hah, that would probably be the only mod I wouldn't defend.

Me too. I'm glad he isn't, he didn't make one noteworthy contribution to the forum that I can remember. And there was one particular incident that always stuck with me where he totally ridiculed and humiliated a member in a thread and then allowed the other subscribers to pile it on. I called him on it, and he always had a chip after that. I wish I could find it, by that was at least a year ago.

I was glad to see PP and Homer get called up. I think they'll make good mods. I was thinking there was another one but I can't remember.

I suppose after a while some people just aren't around enough anymore to moderate?

Agreed. Plus.

I spend a good amount of time on here but I sure as crap wouldn't want to have to moderate a forum. I give credit to all the mods. Maybe some are more active than others but unless I walked a few months in their shoes so the saying sort of goes. I don't know how much time they spend behind the scenes pursuing post for wrong content and maybe even losing some of the enjoyment out of this GREAT SITE. There is a set of rules. The mods are the ABGs who have to interpret the rule and take action as required by those rules but still keep this forum fun. If you want to debate it. Don't look for me in that thread. I wouldn't have a chance. I'm just a bad (not in the cool way) rhyming riddler. :mug:

Dan, I'm with you actually on not debating the mods mostly. My thread was specific because of something one particular mod had done which I felt was out of line. It's in the past. As I said before, most of those I took issue with are rarely around now anyway.

Dan, I'm with you actually on not debating the mods mostly. My thread was specific because of something one particular mod had done which I felt was out of line. It's in the past. As I said before, most of those I took issue with are rarely around now anyway.

Not sure of the particulars. Hope I don't come across as a smart, I dont know how to spell aleke, aliek? Whatever, you know what I mean. But if a person has a gripe about a mod why not (and I'm not saying you didn't) confront him in a PM? If the PM went ignored why not bring it to Tx's attention? This as far as I know is his site and his bread and butter.

I don't know how much time they spend behind the scenes pursuing post for wrong content and maybe even losing some of the enjoyment out of this GREAT SITE.

I do. ;)

I agree for the most part, but I've been a mod (and even an admin) on a number of sites in the past. And even still, mods here have on occasion actually talked about things like the time and the standard required of them. So I can certainly understand that one can't hold every perceived "failure" against them. I also know that being a good mod requires a certain standard of behavior that can often dramatically affect one's enjoyment of the site.

Having said that, while I personally wouldn't really mind being a mod (though I don't honestly expect that to happen anytime soon!), I imagine the vast majority of people might say the same, but I really think most people would reconsider once they fully realize what that responsibility entails, both in terms of the time and behavior required. The experience can be drastically different and most would likely find that it's no longer something they want to spend time doing. To relate it to something that at least AbG can understand, it's like going to an outdoor concert as an actual concert-goer as opposed to an officer working security. A good time can still be had, and one might even enjoy the fact that they're getting paid to be at a concert. But it wears off quickly, as you go to the umpteenth concert you have absolutely no interest in, and even at those that you do, you can't exactly just be yourself all the time. And sometimes you downright end up looking like the bad guy to most people, despite being committed to doing the right thing. But I think, even moreso than most sites, that most of the mods here do a damn good job of it.

I started and ran a hunting site for a little over 5 years, so I definitely get what they go through. Especially on a site as large as this one. It would suck to view it as work and not just fun.

I do. ;)

I agree for the most part, but I've been a mod (and even an admin) on a number of sites in the past. And even still, mods here have on occasion actually talked about things like the time and the standard required of them. So I can certainly understand that one can't hold every perceived "failure" against them. I also know that being a good mod requires a certain standard of behavior that can often dramatically affect one's enjoyment of the site.

Having said that, while I personally wouldn't really mind being a mod (though I don't honestly expect that to happen anytime soon!), I imagine the vast majority of people might say the same, but I really think most people would reconsider once they fully realize what that responsibility entails, both in terms of the time and behavior required. The experience can be drastically different and most would likely find that it's no longer something they want to spend time doing. To relate it to something that at least AbG can understand, it's like going to an outdoor concert as an actual concert-goer as opposed to an officer working security. A good time can still be had, but you can't exactly just be yourself all the time, and sometimes you downright end up looking like the bad guy, despite being committed to doing the right thing. And I think, even moreso than most sites, that most of the mods here do a damn good job of it.

You said it better than me Emjay. Very well :mug: Wish you would have quoted my whole post though even if I ramble a bit. I've picked words the same to get a thought across to what I was replying to with not a lot of other stuff in it. I guess you just did the same. It's just that part that you quoted me makes me feel like I said something wrong.

Hey! Not worries. I'm rambling as usual.

On a side note. There is a new guy on the Riddle thread. He aint bad. Glad you and LRB are still keeping that thread alive! I haven't supported much lately. :(

I've picked words the same to get a thought across to what I was replying to with not a lot of other stuff in it. I guess you just did the same. It's just that part that you quoted me makes me feel like I said something wrong.

Yep, that was exactly what I was doing. My apologies if you felt it poorly characterized your post... that wasn't my intention, and I definitely didn't think you said anything wrong.

I know. My insecurity wandered in. Lifting a brew to you Emjay! :mug:

Time for some music. Let's hear some of yours!

Back