Flanged Receptacles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cioffi

Reaction score
Are flanged receptacles necessary? Couldn't "regular" receptacles be used? I've looked at L6-30 flanged receptacles (I'm using 220V) and they are more than double the price of a "regular" one. Is there any good reason to go with the flanged type?

Less likely to have a cord fall out, especially if they are hanging straight down. I just got all the parts ordered for my build and ended up getting the L6-30 and L5-15 equipment through lockingpowercords.com -- tbd on the product since I don't have it yet.

But if the receptacle is locking, why would it matter if it's flanged or regular? I've found "regular locking receptacles for quite a bit cheaper than flanged. So, that should work, right?

I just cut rectangular holes in my control box (nothing too accurate or pretty) and screwed a mud ring on so I could use regular devices & cover plates. It does take up a bit more room than cutting round holes for the devices to fit directly into.....

where is the cheapest place to get them? i too am torn forking out 90 bucks for two when i can get them 15 each for regular ones

I used regular outlets and not flalnged ones. I used a hole saw, then a die grinder until the outlet wiggled in real tight. Fitted the element upside down on the outside, and it gives you the template for drilling the mounting holes. The flalnged outlets are recessed and therefore more splach reistant. I ran 5 outlets all out of the bottom of the control panel, where there is little chance of water getting near them. I personally think it looks better than the flanged outlets= super clean.
DSC02138.jpg

This is helpful. In terms of regular receptacles, etc., where have folks found the best deals? Ebay? I take it I'm just looking for L6-30 regular receptacles.

I've been researching sourcing these. My own build uses the standard plugs, not the flanged for my elements. The two best sources I've found are to much for me to bring in and sell from, if I'm going to compete with the prices of Amazon.
Try your local electric supply shop first, they will have room to wiggle on the price if they have them. Otherwise check out lockingpowercords.com. I quoted both as resale, and found the supply house to be cheaper, but not significantly enough to markup and sell.

Anyone thought of putting an o-ring around these receptacles from the inside? I have been meaning to check out McMaster to see if they have anything that would work with my twist lock receptacles.

I think mine are the Hubbel 2610 model. I don't see any more that cheap, I bought mine about 6 months ago from some woodworking place on Ebay.

Cioffi said:
Are flanged receptacles necessary? Couldn't "regular" receptacles be used? I've looked at L6-30 flanged receptacles (I'm using 220V) and they are more than double the price of a "regular" one. Is there any good reason to go with the flanged type?

Flanged "inlets" are used for power in so you don't have hot stabs on the end of your cord. Receptacles are for power out.

Back