dry hopping. alternative to marbles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use those decorative glass beads that go in cups and stuff. They're glass so they sanitize just the same. Just don't tell my SWMBO I stole them from the front hall table. :D

I don't dry hop, but off the top of my head....place a (plastic coated) magnet (like a stirrer flea) in the hop bag. Push it down with a racking cane if you already racked or place it in the fermenter before racking.

Place a magnet or two outside the carboy/keg to hold the bag off the bottom. :D

I dryhopped for the first time on my current brew...and I will dryhop everytime from now on. I used pellets (1 oz). I didn't use a bag and had an autospyhon.
The syphon didn't clog, and the amount of beer loss from seditment was minimal.
I would use the same method again.

Cheers.

Well I have never done this but I amt hinking if you want something that you could get around the house grab a glass beer mug, cup or anything glass with a handle, sanitize it, tie the bag to it, and sink away. it would be crude but effective. And you wouldn't need to go buy any marbles.

:cross:

I use whole hops and just let them float right on top of the beer. Let it sit for two weeks and diffusion does all the work for you. Whole hops are large enough not to get sucked through an autosiphon while transferring to a bottling bucket. Loose whole hops are also suprisingly easy to rinse out of a carboy; fill it with water until it overflows, and all the hops float out with the water.

nice. some good idears.

i have a combination of pellets and fukkin flower hops, so a bag was needed.
i wasnt sure about putting anything metal in. didnt know if it would be a problem.
thanks everyone

Just drop the hops into the carboy without a bag.
Basically anything that is heavier than water, non toxic and can be sanitized will work.

Craig

I have some medium gauge 316 wire (I think it's 18 ga). I make a big coil about the diameter of the inside of the corny and stretch it to about 18" tall (picture a spring). I secure my hop bag to one and and feed it into the corny. Once the top of the coil clears the mouth of the keg, it keep the hops down and also allows me a means of retrieving it if necessary.

jarvis311 said:
nice. some good idears.

i have a combination of pellets and fukkin flower hops, so a bag was needed.
i wasnt sure about putting anything metal in. didnt know if it would be a problem.
thanks everyone

They sell foodgrade stainless steele BB's. You need a lot though to keep them down. I think I use 10 1/2 in. to keep 1 oz barely submerged. Hops love to float when soaked with beer and co2, so its not easy keeping them down. The best way is to use plugs and throw 2 1/2 oz plug in one bag and tie it up, and then another 2x.5oz in another bag. Whole hops are a PITA to get into the bag so I just throw them in the carboy and let them inefficiently float on top.

Just be careful getting the BB's out as I cracked my last carboy because I was in a rush.

I got my at overstock.com

Latest posts

Back