Q for Portland OR area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

It looks like I'm moving up to Portland. My office is near the 217/I5 interchange (Tigard area).

So I'll likely do my home shopping near there.

How is the tap water quality (for brewing AG) in that area?

Thanks!
Bob

I can't address that specific area, but water quality up here tends to be extremely good, as in very low mineral content.

Here's the BeerSmith water page: http://www.beersmith.com/Water/Waters.htm . I still have family in Seattle and also some relatives in Portland, so I had been looking at the water data from up there, as I'm trying to get my brother started brewing. As david_42 mentions, the water there is very low in mineral content. It's comparable to Pilsen. Interesting that beer styles historically developed based on the local water chemistry. Nowdays brewers, homebrewers in particular, can modify local water chemistry to suit the style of beer they want to brew. If beerstyles still followed local water chemistry, the Northwest would be givng us delicate pilseners and lagers. But what do we get from the Northwest? Some of the most brutally hopped, high gravity ales around. Go figure.

Back