Hydrometer readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vismich

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to honebrewing. I brewed my first batch a few weeks ago withought getting a Hydrometer reading. I just waited for the bubbles to stop in my airlock and bottled. Turned out good, but I want to take a reading on the batch I have brewing now.

That said, when should I take a reading? One week after fermenting? After the bubbles stop?

Second, how do I take wort out to get a reading? Sticking a cup in there seems to go against everything in regards to keeping a steril environment...

Thanks!!

You take an OG reading just before you pitch the yeast, then I normally take SG readings for 2-3 days after airlock activity stops, normally about a week. If the SG readings is the same for 2-3 days in a row fermentation is complete.

I have read most guys use a turkey baster that is sanitized to draw some wort out, I just use the faucets on my fermenters.

A turkey baster is a great idea.

I'm using a bucket. The airlock has been bubbling for a week. I did an initial reading, and will do one tonight I guess.

Let me ask this... When you need to just steralize one thing, like a turkey badger, are there wipes you can buy?

I dont want to mix up a whole thing of the sterilize mix that came in my kit for just one thing

Vismich said:
Let me ask this... When you need to just steralize one thing, like a turkey badger, are there wipes you can buy?

I dont want to mix up a whole thing of the sterilize mix that came in my kit for just one thing

I use a spray bottle of star san which last white a while.

when using a bucket and after the krausen has fallen, just put the hydrometer directly into the bucket. Lowers infection chances and one less thing to clean.

also once alcholol is present chances of bacteria fall too. this DOES NOT mean to take it lightly. i always use a spray bottle or just do it when you have other things to do in your brewery that requires sanatation.

+ 1 on the spray bottle, I use idophor and it works with that too. However the first batch of idophor I put in there made the bottle dark and after that it has been fine.

I tried using a turkey baster but it was a pain as it took two lots to get a sample and the budget one my wife bought to cook with (what was she thinking!) let wort dribble back out (I think to whole at the bottom was too large, or ID-10-T error) and so it made a mess of the bucket/caboy. My solution was a syphon jar, where you have a hose going into a jar from the wort and a hose going into the jar that you suck on. This way you can create suction without touching the hose going into the wort. Sanitize the hose and your good to go.

Clem

I use a wallpaper soaker. Long enough to fit racking canes and tubing, but I only need to use about 1.5 gallons of star-san. And I am always using the star-san in a spray bottle.

Eric

Latest posts

Back