Just ruined a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pascott6

Reaction score
I think i just screwed up big time. I miss read the directions. I'm making a Hef & it called for 1/2 tsp of ground clove. I just put about 1 oz in.

I don't know what to do.
Should i dump it or not?

At least wait until you can taste it. Taste is what you go by to judge if you'll like it. Recipes are just a base anyway and most of us adjustment them as we see fit according to our personal preference. Don't jump the gun until you reach your last resort. You never know, you can probably add more stuff to it later like cinnamon, orange peel or lemon zest to alter the flavor. Don't give up so easily.

I've personally NEVER thrown out a batch.

Right. Never dump a batch until you have given it every possible chance you can think of! Heck, you might actually like the way it turns out!

Yeah, give it plenty of time if you don't like it at first. I have only dumped one batch before. It was an ale I made, didn't taste good after a month in bottles, and still tasted the same at two years. By then I just wanted to free up some bottles for a new batch.

Spices, hops, oak, smoke- flavorings like that ALL fade with time. If you over flavor just, once they're bottled, put them away for 6 weeks or so, and start tasting then, it will fade and become drinkable eventually, it may be 6 months or a year, but eventually the stuff that is too strong now, will fade.

Never think about dumping your beer until you've seen it to completion, AND THEN WAIT LONGER....a lot of what we think are mistakes end up becoming the best beer we make.

+1 to everyone saying not to dump it. But I gotta say, I think you picked about the worst spice to overdo... It's the powdery ground clove, not cracked whole cloves? Phew-eee, that's pungent stuff! Good luck!

Spices, hops, oak, smoke- flavorings like that ALL fade with time. If you over flavor just, once they're bottled, put them away for 6 weeks or so, and start tasting then, it will fade and become drinkable eventually, it may be 6 months or a year, but eventually the stuff that is too strong now, will fade.

Never think about dumping your beer until you've seen it to completion, AND THEN WAIT LONGER....a lot of what we think are mistakes end up becoming the best beer we make.

This is VERY true. Taste it after while and see how it is. Unless you are hurting for bottles I would age out and see how it goes over time. If not anything you have a good experiment :)

1oz of clove? That will never come out. I over did the clove in a batch by 1/2tsp and it was foul. I dumped it about 8 months later because i needed bottles and the clove appeared to be getting stronger. I dont think I could even stand to be in the same room as a glass of beer that got that much clove in it.

Dump it...

Down to your belly.

Even if it doesn't come out, break it out after you've warmed up with a few other brews, you'll be much more acceptable of its flaws.

I acctually added 1 oz of cinnamin stick & finished brewing & tasted it when i was done taking my OG & it didn't taste to bad. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. Maybe the WYEAST will help it out.

Should i leave it in the Primary longer than 2 weeks?
Would that help?

Hey, you can always just mix it half & half with Guinness when it comes time to drink it. The Guinness will get a nice little kick of flavor added and the Hef will get the clove flavor tamed down, win-win. :ban:

haha, why are you adding spices to a hefe? The goal should be to make the yeast create the clove character, you're sort of cheating by actually putting clove in there.

It'll fade in time, I put pumpkin pie spices in my pumpkin ale and the first time I think I went a little overboard. It took a few months, but the spice character eventually died down to the point that it went well with the rest of the beer.

Did you use pre-ground clove or did you grind it your self? pre-ground clove is way weaker than ground whole clove so if by chance you used it that way you didn't over spice nearly as much as you think.

Either way though, I would have to agree with the majority of the others and say if you hate it at first, age it and see. :mug:

Ok its been about 7 weeks since i started this batch. it is still in the primary i'm going to put it in a secondary bucket tonight.

Anyone have any other ideas for this batch?

Back