so i think i ruined a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davis119

Reaction score
so i think i oxidized the crap out of my brew. had an issued with cheesecloth on the end of the siphon. ( i have read the other threads about it)
i just need to vent. how bad will taste and how will i know......:confused:

Which end of the siphon did you put it on? Even on the out end it should have only affected the first little bit and probably not that much more than the siphoning itself. You seem worried, have you had your requisite allotment of homebrew today? You'll know if you wait long enough and it starts to taste like you secondaried on top of cardboard. If you're that worried about it just drink it sooner rather than later but like I said I doubt it's that much of an issue. RDWHAHB.

I put it on the in end. And no I haven't had enough homebrew just 2. (Busy getting ready for a brew day tomorrow and racking to secondary)

So you think I should leave it dry hopped ( on 1oz cenn .5 cascade) for like a week and bottle?

When does the cardboard taste. Kick in?

When it kicks in would depend on the extent of oxidation, but given that you're dry-hopping I'd bet this beer will be long gone before you have to worry about oxidation. Oxidation tends to only be a problem with beers you plan on aging. Sounds like some good dry-hopping too, I do love me some centennials.

Haha I hope they are just noob worries. Im doing my 3rd batch ( in 7weeks) tomorrow. Can't wait

Dome555 said:
When it kicks in would depend on the extent of oxidation, but given that you're dry-hopping I'd bet this beer will be long gone before you have to worry about oxidation. Oxidation tends to only be a problem with beers you plan on aging. Sounds like some good dry-hopping too, I do love me some centennials.

Its a Waldo lake amber ale from northern brewer. I just wanted to make it my own by adding some nice aroma and thanks for the info

Back