Compare dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badhabit

Reaction score
Anybody able to make some comparisons between Coopers Ale and Mutton and Fission Gold? I have used Safale US 05 lots and like it but am looking for an alternative dry. I want something very clean with very little or no ester.

Coopers was ok to poor.
Mutton is very gamey - Muntons was a failure, could have been an old pack.
Don't know Fission Gold, sounds dangerous.

US 05 & 04 are both great IMO. If I want something more unique I go liquid.

Never tried Coopers or Muntons.
Have tried US 05 and US 04. I agree they are both good, but I wouldn't describe US 04 as "clean with very little or no ester".
How about Nottingham?

-a.

I have a friend who swears by coopers as a neutral ale yeast, but I have never used it. S-04 and US-05 are the only dry yeasts I use regularly. I no longer use Nottingham because of repeated bad batches related to their quality control issues/recalls they have had. S-33 tends to finish very sweet.

Munton's is junk, but their Munton's Gold might work for "all malt beers" according to their website. Even Munton's doesn't recommend their regular strain for beers that don't use corn sugar!

Coopers is also junk, at least the couple that I"ve used. Throw it away if it comes with your kit!

A good quality dry yeast is important. I like Safale (So4 and S05) and Nottingham (Danstar) for ales. I've never used a dry lager yeast, so I don't know about them.

For clean profile and low esters, go with either US-05 fermented at 65 -68 or Nottingham fermented at 60 - 62. Both will produce a clean profile, in my experience. Temperature has a lot to do with achieving a clean profile.

Thanks for the help. My own experiance is pretty much the same as Yooper notes. The S04 is too ester for IPA/APA for my taste and given the same lower fermentation temps. I have had some good luck with Nottingham for the lighter brews but have not had a lot of experiance using it. So I guess it is back to the S05 and proven results. Thanks again!

Back