Krausen not falling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
Ok, so it's been 8 full days of krausen and it shows no signs of falling back into the beer. Is it because its in a carboy with massive blowoff tubes?

I had a wheat beer last month that nearly blew the airlock off (wasn't expecting the yeast to be that happy!!).

That one took about 10+ days to settle down.

Doesn't happen often, but once or twice a year I make a batch and this will happen.

I just let mother nature take her time with it.... wait a two weeks or more and things tend to look just fine.

Jonathan

Ok, so maybe its when yeast is really "happy" it takes a while to settle? I hope thats the case. I'm just getting really antsy to get this thing in the secondary with some dry hops. Anyone know where in the US to get Nelson Sauvin whole flower hops?

I second Maida7's comment.

I used to "overly" do secondary fermentation. As time goes on, I just let it go for a 3 to 4 weeks in primary.

Though I play around with adding the hops towards the end of that (when I get a gravity reading or so during the last week or ten days). But that's just me goofing around and experimenting - so far, pretty darn good! But I like the hop aroma a lot more than tons of hop bitterness.

Jonathan

Back