Will these containers work for small batches of mead, etc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpresidente

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I can't be the only one who sits at work all day thinking about what I scavenge or DIY next for my home brewery...so one day I was going over to "snack station" in the office where we keep pretzels, candy, etc and it hit me.

The tasty little peanut butter pretzels I eat everyday are in a container like this: http://www.officesnax.us/images/OFX-00375copy.jpg and I checked the type of plastic and they are # 1!! :ban:

What do you guys think about using these as small batch primary fermenters? I have been wanting to start making some mead and this could be a perfect opportunity to begin a bunch of small batches...the best part is we are constantly throwing these containers out at work and I could EASILY scoop them all up!!

*my only concern is the tops are not the same plastic...if I recall they were #5 plastic. Would that matter?

I wonder if you could get a stopper big enough to fit in the top... I don't see why they wouldn't work if you can.

Not sure about the #5 lid, sorry.

As long as your liquid doesn't come in contact with the top (which it shouldn't) it should be fine. You could just drill out a little hole for a stopper/airlock if you wanted... however, I probably wouldn't bulk age mead in there for a long time due to the headspace.

Back