experiment using apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burro2882

Reaction score
I've been thinking about doing a apfelwein recently and that got me thinking about incorporating apple juice with a brew.

Im contemplating doing a wheat ale, and using at least a gallon of tree top apple juice to top off the fermenter. Im not pro enough to really know how it would turn out so i need to hear your feed back. I would basically be going for a wheat with some apple flavor. I have also read that apple juice will ferment out a bit on the dry side (depending on length in fermenter).

anyone try anything like this?

Do it.

It will be pretty dry, and you need to keep fermentation temps pretty low (fusels are more likely with the apple juice).

To keep temps low, I just submerge my fermenter in water, swapping out jugs of frozen water, as they thaw, to keep it nice and cool.

I would advise against a hefe yeast, but Chico might be too clean. I think Wyeast 1272 would be really good.

Back