Fermenting temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezboarderz

Reaction score
hey I have a quick questions.

I have a fridge/ranco controller set up. Would it be a good idea to tap the temperature probe to the glass carboy to get a more accurate temp reading, or should i just leave it suspended in the fridge? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.:mug:

hey I have a quick questions.

I have a fridge/ranco controller set up. Would it be a good idea to tap the temperature probe to the glass carboy to get a more accurate temp reading, or should i just leave it suspended in the fridge? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.:mug:

Yes, do tape it to the fermenter and put 2 layers of bubble wrap over it (8 X 8 inches)to insulate the sensor from the air inside the fridge. The sensor will pick up the fermenter's temperature and the fridge will not run too much. I set the differential to 1 degree. I always use a blow off tube.

Here is what I use as general settings:

Ale: The lower end of the recommended temperature range of the yeast used. ie: Nottingham - setting = 60F.

Lager: The lower end of the recommended temperature range of the yeast used. ie: White labs WLP830 - setting = 53F.

Back