Has homebrew ruined old store bought favorites???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirsloop

Reaction score
I use to LOVE sam adams black lager and cream stout ..id drink it like it was water. After drinking a 12 pack of my coffee stout, sam's suddently tastes like rancid rubbing alcohol!!! :drunk:

Luckily I still enjoy the blue moon belgian white and Hacker-schorr Weisse Dark....

sirsloop said:
I use to LOVE sam adams black lager and cream stout ..id drink it like it was water. After drinking a 12 pack of my coffee stout, sam's suddently tastes like rancid rubbing alcohol!!! :drunk:

Luckily I still enjoy the blue moon belgian white and Hacker-schorr Weisse Dark....

this will happen for many reasons.

I don't drink Guinness or Newcastles anymore because they doesn't have enough flavor for me.

I don't drink Sierra Nevada beers anymore either. Not because of taste, but because I can't re-use their twist-off bottles.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I don't drink Sierra Nevada beers anymore either. Not because of taste, but because I can't re-use their twist-off bottles.

HAHAHAHAH!!! Same here!!

Yeah, that's definately a consideration now. I tend to buy stuff in 22-oz bottles because I like using those bottles with my stuff (and one of my local favorites only comes in 22oz and gallon jugs). When I do buy six-packs, it's usually Sammy or something where I know I can re-use the bottles. I don't have enough bottles yet for all that I have brewing, and since it costs about $10 for a case of new empties, the six-pack of Sammy effectively is $2.50 cheaper than whatever beer I might buy otherwise.

I haven't bought a six-pack for home consumption in months. (I've bought them occaisionally to take to poker games and the like, usually along with a sixer of my beers.)

The only time I have commercial beers anymore is when I'm in a bar or restaurant, and/or specifically researching a type of beer I'm considerring brewing. One of my local stores has a decent selection of singles--every now and then I pick up one or two bottles of interesting things I've never tried.

The great beers are still great, but I find that only the very best (and priciest) commercial beers taste as good to me as my best batches of homebrew.

Not in the slightest, I drink commercial beers several times a week. Of course, having 40 great breweries within 50 miles probably has some impact on my habits. I actually puchased a six pack last month, Deschutes Twilight Ale. Come to think about it, the only ales I buy in stores are seasonals that I don't have time to try on tap. There are some I'd probably buy if they came in 12 oz. bottles. I rarely ever have two glasses of the same thing in one day, so I don't like 22's.

Oh, I forgot about the case of IPA VS Brut! But, that's a seasonal that actually tastes better from the bottle. By the time it's aged a bit, the tap at Golden Valley is empty.

Walker-san said:

I don't drink Guinness or Newcastles anymore because they doesn't have enough flavor for me.

-walker

I did the same thing the other day, bought a six of Magic Hat #9 IPA because it looked like the bottles might be pop top (they were). :off: BTW the #9 is called an IPA but it is actually very unusual, as it says so on the label. I don't quite know how to describe it but the after taste was similar to cereal. I have also had Guiness on tap a few times recently and thought it was kind of watery but I just figured that was that particular keg.

Flyin' Lion said:
I did the same thing the other day, bought a six of Magic Hat #9 IPA because it looked like the bottles might be pop top (they were). :off: BTW the #9 is called an IPA but it is actually very unusual, as it says so on the label. I don't quite know how to describe it but the after taste was similar to cereal.

Where have you seen #9 described as an IPA?

Somewhat but I still enjoy drinking commerical beer. Drinking a Paulner Hefe right now. Having a Having a Red Stripe keg party tomorrow as well. I know how much some people hate Red Stripe but I'm a fan.

Most of the time when I have a beer I used to drink lots of, I think it's terrible swill, but there are a few that I actually like a bit more now that I can appreciate their complexities on a different level.

SwAMi75 said:

He probably means Magic Hat's HI.P.A. Not sure why it's called HIPA and not just IPA

I'm not that way. For the most part, except for a few styles such as IPA or Stout, if the beer makes foam, then I like it. It all depends on the mood I'm in.

i'm still a fan of genesee cream ale, and at 3.00 a six pack, i don't lose any sleep over buying it...

I was in our local beer store, and they had a six pack of Genessee Cream Ale bottles for $6. When I visit my dad in Ohio, it's $10.00 a 30 pack (cans).

We must have gourmet taste!

My favorite brews come from Sprecher and Capital Brewery in Wisconsin. The Blonde Doppleboch from Capital is fantastic. I still drink store bought, but I'm definitely more of a micro brew fan.

Lorena

Beause homebrewing has gotten me in much closer touch with the process of beermaking and all the ingredients and processes, I pay a lot closer attention to what I'm drinking. While I was never a BMC guy, even moreso I'm focusing my non-HBS drinking on local microbrews, making sure to try as many different things as possible, even things I doubt I will particularly enjoy. That's probably the single best thing that this hobby has done for me, create a much greater appreciation for beer. The closer you get to something (at least for me), the much greater my appreciation for it.

SwAMi75 said:

The six pack holder says "not quite pale ale", I just thought it was closer to a pale ale than anything else, it is unusual to say the least.

Back