More on Muntons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tndave

Reaction score
I ordered a recipe kit and it came with Muntons and now I have read all kinds of bad things on here about Muntons. I ordered some other yeast, but it won’t be here until early next week and I really wanted to brew Saturday night. I don’t have a local supply store so I was thinking about going ahead and brew Sat and keep an eye on it and if it don’t look like it is going finish low enough then add something like safale us-05. Is that ok or a bad idea?

Liberty Cream Ale is the recipe.

What bad things have you heard? I"ve used Muntons (Gold?) yeast on two batches (extract) and didn't have any issues. Beer turned out fine.

I'd vote go for it, and if it doesn't finish add the other yeast.
I'd also give it 3 weeks to finish.

Brew on

A sweeter finish is probably a good idea on that recipe. But, it doesn't hurt to have something in reserve, even Munton's Gold would dry it out.

Ok, I think I'll just go for it. I do plan to re-hydrate prior to pitching, so I'll at least know if it's alive, should be midwest sells a lot of stuff so it shouldn't be that old. I ordered two more kits and got wyeast 1056 with them and ordered some safale just to keep in the fridge just in case I ever get some dead yeast. After that hopefully I will start just buying the ingredients to have on hand when I want to brew and start to experiment some instead of buying kits.

What bad things have you heard? I"ve used Muntons (Gold?) yeast on two batches (extract) and didn't have any issues. Beer turned out fine.

I'd vote go for it, and if it doesn't finish add the other yeast.
I'd also give it 3 weeks to finish.

Brew on

Munton's Gold is high quality stuff. It's their regular dry people struggle with.

Back