Removing lingering odor from primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_bell

Reaction score
I cleaned my primary w/ PBW after brewing and then again when I bottled (since I had the PBW mixed up to clean the bottles and bottling bucket), and my primary still has the odor of beer (that being an English Bitter--my first batch). Now ready to brew my 2nd batch but a little concerned about this lingering odor, and the possibility of imparting flavor to my next batch.

Any ideas to get rid of this odor, or should I not worry about it?

Bottled / drinking: English Bitter
Up next: Blue Moon clone

Lots of people soak in Oxyclean overnight, which seems to fix the problem. I just wash with soap and santize, and don't really worry about the odor, because I'm putting more beer in there anyway.

I cleaned my primary w/ PBW after brewing and then again when I bottled (since I had the PBW mixed up to clean the bottles and bottling bucket), and my primary still has the odor of beer (that being an English Bitter--my first batch). Now ready to brew my 2nd batch but a little concerned about this lingering odor, and the possibility of imparting flavor to my next batch.

Any ideas to get rid of this odor, or should I not worry about it?

Bottled / drinking: English Bitter
Up next: Blue Moon clone

RDWHAHB! :mug:
That odor will stay with the plastic buckets forever and won't have any effect on future beers. Brew away and don't worry about it!
I kind of like that smell!

If I am going to have a fermentor empty for a couple days, I fill it up with water and add a little bleach. If I am bottling and brewing at the same time I just give it a quick rinse.

Back