Electricity usage - Refrig, Freezer, Coolers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_cad

Reaction score
Just starting out gathering equipment and wonder what kind of increase I should expect in my electric bill. I realize there are many factors that will affect cost, but I just want to know in general. I have an extra fridge made in 1990's and an old can coke machine that I gutted so it has no internal shelving. Does anyone have information regarding cost per month to run a fridge, two fridges, or chest freezers.

I would like to have a kegerator and also something to ferment in but I don't want to see my electric bill triple.

I guess the only other thing I can add is that this will be kept in a garage that has no heating or cooling....is it hard to maintain constant temps under these conditions?

Just the chest freezer kegerator and additional fridge/freezer combo (filled with soft drinks, beer bottles, hops and grain) newly added to my hot garage during the summer raised my electric bill about $30 a month.

my little chest freezer claimed something like $30 a year, but that's at some average $ per kilowatt hour. and it was brand new, so older appliances are cheaper, but less efficient...you pay one way or another ;)

chest freezers have the benefit of not losing as much cold air when you open them. Now that I'm not running my a/c anymore, my electricity bill is $4 higher than last year, but I have no clue what the kilowatt/hour rates were then.

Back