When a bad back makes the decisions for you.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I skipped brewing last weekend because my neck is in bad shape due to a loooong bike ride. Pinched a nerve in my spine and my right arm has been useless for 2 weeks now. I want to brew this weekend but may not be able still. I just got a 10 gallon SS pot with ball valve and thermo in the mail this week too. I really want to try it out.

Hang in there forstmeister; it WILL get better (at least good enough to brew again!). I had to take a solid 3 month break due to back problems but I'm at it again. I still get a "tired" back every time I brew and have to take a few 5-10 minute breaks during the brew, but it eventually works out. In the end, we do what we can and are willing to do. I hope you're able to relieve your pinched nerve soon and get back to brewing. Keep up good spirits :mug:

stpug said:
Hang in there forstmeister; it WILL get better (at least good enough to brew again!). I had to take a solid 3 month break due to back problems but I'm at it again. I still get a "tired" back every time I brew and have to take a few 5-10 minute breaks during the brew, but it eventually works out. In the end, we do what we can and are willing to do. I hope you're able to relieve your pinched nerve soon and get back to brewing. Keep up good spirits :mug:

I have been dealing with it for 18 months now. I have lost a few brew days to it actually. More bad than good, but the bad stretches really do make me grumpy.

Recently started brewing again after the original back blow out.Switched my process a bit and the swmbo helps out a little more.The most frustrating thing is the amount of money i have to spend to build my new brew rig.At first i was thinking tiered but my sciatic nerve says no on that one.So got 1 keggle almost built,now i need a march pump,two burners another keggle a bunch of lumber and the list goes on.Hell,I have a keezer that is just a fermentation chamber due to the cost of keg equipment.Damn this hobby is expensive.

Yeah, but it's still about the most fun you can have with all you clothes still on. I rather do that than nothing but tend and fret over my back. I told you that you could do it, I knew you could the whole time. Congrats Bro.

Wheelchair Bob

Thanks Bob once i stopped feeling bad about the situation i just got real about it.March pumps will be my new best friends

Thanks Bob once i stopped feeling bad about the situation i just got real about it.March pumps will be my new best friends
Ya can't change the cards you were dealt, but you can adapt, improvise and overcome. Since I fell in Oct and broke my hip it has added another dimension to things that I have to deal with among them is chronic pain from the surgery to put in a pin and rod and the loss of my ability to stand unassisted. If I can get a little help standing up I got it licked, just need that initial boost to get it going... I'm up to being able to walk about 80 feet with a lot of intense daily physical therapy so it is improving and I aint givin up neither!!!!

Wheelchair Bob

Ya can't change the cards you were dealt, but you can adapt, improvise and overcome. Since I fell in Oct and broke my hip it has added another dimension to things that I have to deal with among them is chronic pain from the surgery to put in a pin and rod and the loss of my ability to stand unassisted. If I can get a little help standing up I got it licked, just need that initial boost to get it going... I'm up to being able to walk about 80 feet with a lot of intense daily physical therapy so it is improving and I aint givin up neither!!!!

Wheelchair Bob

I wondered where you'd been. Sorry to hear about that fall.

I just took out my hops, LME & yeast starter to warm up a lil bit ago to brew a kottbusser today.Bottled an ESB Sunday. My back is not going to enjoy this. I can't stand at the stove, but sit on a padded barstool. I need help with heavy kettles & such too. But I like to brew. I just can't do it like I used to.

I wonder if pumps and electric hoist might make things less painful. If you had something to hang the hoist on, it could be much easier than even a block and tackle. Harbor freight sells a cheap one for about $130.

I'm starting to recognize I'm not invincible. Got arthritis in my hands pretty painful couple of years ago after pulling a bunch of vines out of the ground while doing yard work. Now a hip is sometimes a little sore, due to the way I sit at work and while playing WoW.

After Holiday break moved my daughter to new apartment on MSU campus, and lifted a recliner by myself to carry down the garage attic steps. It was heavy, but I did it. Now my neck is sore. Getting help from my wife would have been more aggravating, but at least it would have been short-lived aggravation!

Hmm... thinking about a hoist for lifting things. Like a full fermentor for bottling time. Maybe bolt something across several ceiling joists to spread the weight. Or maybe a fold open support like a tripod made of 2x4s... hell I don't know. I guess an engineer might be better at this.

Watched my mother go through two back surgeries and a knee replacement, its a rough go. Physical therapy seemed to help the most until she pushed herself beyond her ability. That woman can be stubborn as a damn mule at times but she gets around quite well now. Best of luck and good health to you Bob.

Back