5 cu ft freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hey all,
I found a local sale of a Holiday 5 cubic foot freezer for $100 that I was thinking of picking up to use as a fermenting chamber. I'm doing a Kolsch next, and wanted to do an Octoberfest lager in time for September too, but don't really have the means now. I have an extra fridge/freezer, but I can't sacrifice the freezer to use the fridge as a fermenting chamber.

Anyway, does this sound like a good buy? I'm not kegging, so it'll be used only for fermenting (for now), and I would also get a temp controller and heat lamp (or heat wrap). Is this a good size? Seems like some people go for the bigger ones, but a lot use this size too. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John

That's the size I use. Have two of them set up with STC-1000 controllers, $20 on Amazon. If it is new that is an OK price. I paid $20 and $60 for the two I have. Just make sure your carboy or fermenting bucket with air lock or blow off tube fits in with the door closed. Had to remove the drip tray from under the freezer on both and remove the bars that keep the food on the door shelves. On one fridge I had to remove the entire molded shelf assembly on the front door. Also had to cut a 2 x 10 to fit under the carboy. This allowed the carboy to sit back just enough to let the door fully close.

I have done two of these. if you like, send me a PM and I explain further.

It sounds like you're describing an upright freezer? I was looking at a chest freezer...should have been more clear. I'm gonna look into that controller though.

Thanks,
John

ImperialStout,
I looked into that controller on Amazon. At first glance it looks like a great heating/cooling solution.

I'm just wondering why all the homebrew sites sell (and everyone talks about) the Johnson A419 instead of something like this? Even on the forums I've yet to come across this.

Thanks,
John

ImperialStout,
I looked into that controller on Amazon. At first glance it looks like a great heating/cooling solution.

I'm just wondering why all the homebrew sites sell (and everyone talks about) the Johnson A419 instead of something like this? Even on the forums I've yet to come across this.

Thanks,
John

You aren't looking hard enough. There are dozens of threads on HBT about the STC-1000, just search I'm too lazy at the moment to link any. I bought one and wired it up, way more frugal and fun than buying a Johnson or other.

You're right...since posting my last note, I did a search for STC-1000 and got a ton of info. I've come across the A419 a bunch (and it's on all the major homebrew supply sites), but never this one. Thanks for bringing it up...I think I'm gonna go for it!

Thanks,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great. I just bought one of those project boxes for a stir plate...I'm gonna have to start buying them by the case.

Another big thumbs up for the STC I mounted mine in a cigar box with low profile electrical boxes

image-3835250297.jpg

image-784178082.jpg

Classy! Mine's gonna be a ball of electrical tape with a bunch of wires sticking out of it.

And BTW I use a reptile lamp for the hot side. I also rigged up an old computer fan than runs continuously on another circuit. Moving to this set up has improved the character, consistency and ease of fermentation enormously.

My third STC-1000 is on the way. Those little $20 dual controllers are awesome.

One operates the fermenter chamber (upright freezer). #2 is on the 3-faucet keezer (a chest freezer). The third will be for a lagering/cold crash chamber once I find another good freezer or fridge on Craigslist.

I use the DIY paint can fermenter heater (light bulb mounted inside) for mine and like it.

Precise temp control----> happy yeast----> tastier brew. :D

Well, I picked up the freezer the other day, got home, plugged it in, everything seems good. Plus, I was up at Lowes today and check to see what they had, just to see if I got a good deal on the ebay freezer. The 5 cubic foot was $170 (I paid $100) so I was satisfied, but I seemed to recall mine being bigger than what Lowes had. When I got home, I checked the label on the freezer I bought and it turns out it's the 7 cubic feet model! I got a free 2 cubic feet! I guess the woman I bought it from didn't realize it was the bigger model...she probably looked up the model number that was on the manual, but it's the manual for both sizes.

Now I'm just waiting for my STC-1000...have to get a heat lamp, then I'll be good to go for my next batch, which will be a honey kolsch and my first time lagering (even though technically it's a hybrid).

John

Now I'm just waiting for my STC-1000...have to get a heat lamp, then I'll be good to go for my next batch, which will be a honey kolsch and my first time lagering (even though technically it's a hybrid).

John

Good for you John. You will absolutely love having the ability to precisely control ferment temps and do neat stuff like cold crash a batch at the touch of a few buttons.

Be aware that the STC-1000 has a compressor protection circuit. If you see the cold light flash and the freezer does not come on, don't worry. It's a delay feature built into the unit. Give it a few minutes, the light will go solid and the freezer will come on.

One more suggestion - a heat lamp isn't needed. A small heat source (like the DIY paint can heater or a reptile heater) will be plenty in that 7ft freezer. Plus, you really don't want to shine more light on the beer than you have to.

Back