Control box build discouragement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzycist

Reaction score
I'm currently buying parts for a scaled down version of the BK and control box from www.theelectricbrewery.com . Scaled down, cuz d@mn, that thing is overkill. But anyway, even chopping out half the unnecessary stuff I'm still spending a couple hundred dollars on parts and it just feels ridiculous. Anyone else feel like they were wasting time and money while building their setup? I'm gonna finish, I can't quit now, but I could use some encouragement.

Nope. It will be paying for itself for a few more years, but it beats huddling around the turkey fryer all winter. Boil overs will become a rare occurance, you will be able to drop the word "about" when discussing volume of boil-off, the wind will never rob another BTU from you, and forget worrying about how much LP is left in the tank. Nosy neighbors? Take it indoors!

Electric rocks. Once you get over the up front investment (time, money, and a bit your sanity) you will never look back; stay the course!

Yes keep at it! I was super excited after I cut holes and mounted components. Once the wiring began, I started to get discouraged because it seemed like so much to do. But the feeling I got when I powered it on for the first time and everything worked was great!!! Just follow your schematic and make sure you are in the right spots. You will have success!

Thanks for the positive motivation. I have had to take a break from the build to recoup financially from xmas with all the kids. I needed the reminder once the bills get paid.

My darling wife often reminds me that:

1) brewing is a hobby;
2) all hobbies cost money;
3) at least this hobby results in something we can drink!

I am just embarking on the Mark II version of my control box, after happily using the Mark I version for a couple of years. What the other posters said is true, in spades. Minnesota in winter is no place for outdoor brewing! Have fun!

I was at the same spot, but I am a cheap SOB so it is taking me forever. I don't buy anything unless I can get a deal on it. I have some awesome finds (Hoffman enclosure for $20), but it takes forever. Luckily to keep my motivation up I have other hobbies I pepper in here and there. Right now I am rebuilding an old guitar to pass the time while I search for some more components. Keep positive and yes remember it is a hobby, you don't have a deadline!

I am in the same boat as you, my build is easily starting to turn into a money pit, and it gets quite frustrating at times.

Feel free to laugh at some of my mistakes:

-No, a weldless kettle wall mountable RTD probe will NOT screw into an NPT sight gauge Tee, better find a SS plug online! Don't forget the o-ring!
-No, that home depot load center is NOT large enough to fit your PID, outlet, e-stop and terminal blocks (figured that one out after cutting various shapes in it)
-Oops, did you forget to include a 1" inch SS shim washer in your McMaster-Carr order? Well home depot doesn't sell those! Enjoy more online shopping shipping charges!
-Sorry, you don't own any step bits, bi-metal hole saw, bi-metal jig saw blades, knockouts, and other assorted hardware - But you will once you realize you need them!
-Last, but certainly not least, working with 10ga wire is a tremendous pain in the b@lls

A few weeks ago I was feeling like a horse's patoot for not just saving up and buying one of Highgravitybrews systems pre-built, but when it is all said and done, I will have a system that is built exactly to how I want it, is expandable to add another vessel later on, and will hopefully allow me to brew faster, and with more control.

Plus, I imagine it will be a kind of pride thing, knowing that I build the whole thing myself. I'll let you know if I ever get there.

Overkill is a word I've used.

I bought a 10"x10" pull box from HD for around $28, but I used smaller LED's (16mm vs 25mm, IIRC), stripped out the PID's (replaced with a single Arduino), alarms, volt/amp meters, and used some cheapie toggles from Radio Shack on the panel. Sure it's not NEMA-whatever, but it's far enough away from the rig that water/dust/steam infiltration isn't a concern. Frankly, the space of a larger box would have been nice, but not for 2-3x the price.

Anyone else feel like they were wasting time and money while building their setup?
Nope. Not at all.

If you feel you're wasting time and money, you need to do it differently. It's a hobby afterall. Hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. You need to find the balancing point that works for *you*. You can make beer with much less than $100 of equipment, or spent $10,000 or more. Neither is the "right" one. Neither is the wrong one. It depends on you. It doesn't matter what others think.

Kal

It's almost bittersweet when the build is complete. You will be looking for another project when you are finished.

I found the best motivation waste stop adding up the costs and just order all the parts. My wife just said dont half ass the build so buy the right parts that fit the project. I did a single pid 4500w system with 2 pumps.

your going to waste it on something why not waste it on something cool

P1010044.jpg

I'm with you on the discouragement during the build thing.

From: buying the wrong contactors (24volt coil), the SwitchCraft connectors taking 2 days to build, always forgetting to pickup some small spade connector or something minor, my welder being TERRIBLE and warping my HLT and Kettle and giving them both just terrible terrible welds including welding the element TC fitting in the wrong place; buying the wrong PID controller, frying my power-on switch, and finding out that my apartment is only supplying 207v on my 240v line... Then finding out that because of my kettle warping my false bottom no longer fits...

All when I just want to be able to make beer again...

There's NO WAY I'll ever get rid of my current brewery before finishing the build on my new brewery that's my lesson learned. If I could keep on brewing beer in the midst of all these setbacks it wouldn't be a big deal.

Lesson Learned #1: The next brewery gets built before this one gets sold FOR SURE.

Lesson Learned #2: Don't go with a stainless welder who hasn't done sanitary welding before and who won't give you an estimated completion date. Find a welding supply shop and ask for a recommendation; do NOT find a "welder" based upon a business card being dropped off at a home brew shop. -Just pay the people you're buying your kettle from to add a 2" tri clamp ferrule for you; even if it costs $60 for a single weld; it's worth it.

Lesson Learned #3: Other people don't give a **** about your brewery like you do; it might
sound difficult but if those other idiots can do it, you can do it; just learn how and do it yourself. As long as you followed Lesson #1 above, it doesn't matter if it takes a while to do it right.

Lesson Learned #4: The vessel cost isn't half the price; the various fittings and ball valves and the control panel will cost AT LEAST that much even if you go with high-end vessels.

Lesson Learned #5: Plasma cutters are @#$@# awesome and make super fast cuts but they make VERY rough cuts; don't even think about it if you don't have a bench grinder and grinding wheel. P.S. Plasma cutters are @#$@# Awesome!

Adam
Did I remember to say that plasma cutters are awesome?
P.P.S. If you talk to a welder about welding your brewery equipment and they even SAY "MIG" -run away as fast as you can! This is not a small detail; when you're first learning about it and researching you'll see online that both can technically weld stainless but only TIG is even REMOTELY acceptable for a brewing application. Even offering MIG as a solution for a split second means that you're dealing with a crack-pot who happens to have a welder in his garage at home and who likes to drink beer and has aspirations of making money on the side. RUN AWAY and take your brewing equipment with you!!!

It's almost bittersweet when the build is complete. You will be looking for another project when you are finished.

I think that's true for SOME people. Some folks seem to love building brewing equipment more than making beer and I love that we have them on these boards, but I actually want to make beer.

I like the engineering and planning aspects but the physical build is something that I do as a cost saving measure only.

Some people get giddy as the idea of troubleshooting something wrong with their (or someone else's control panel); again, some of us just want to make beer and want equipment that helps us to do that in the best way possible.

No bitter, only sweet once this thing finally gets fired up and I can actually focus on the beer vs. the beer making equipment again.

Adam

I think that's true for SOME people. Some folks seem to love building brewing equipment more than making beer and I love that we have them on these boards, but I actually want to make beer.
+1 to that. I had zero interesting in building mine. I wanted to buy something and be done with. Problem is that I couldn't find anything that met my needs so I had to build my own. I don't ever want to open the control panel or have to replace any parts, so I went with what I'd consider mostly industrial, easy to service parts. I just want to make beer.

Kal

Fizzycist...I have felt your pain(and still feeling it). I am so close myself and all these words of encouragement have made me feel better today :)
My number one regret so far? Not knowing biertourist #1 Rule: The next brewery gets built before this one gets sold FOR SURE.
This project would have been alot more enjoyable drinking my own homebrew! After drilling holes in my kettles for water heating elements left me kettle-less.

What keeps me motivated is staying in my cooled/warmed garage while brewing instead of soaking wet outside in the middle of winter. And no more running out of propane and having to run to ACE for a refill.

@biertourist I love my plasma too....and I love my TIG welder even more :D

Adam
Did I remember to say that plasma cutters are awesome?
P.P.S. If you talk to a welder about welding your brewery equipment and they even SAY "MIG" -run away as fast as you can! This is not a small detail; when you're first learning about it and researching you'll see online that both can technically weld stainless but only TIG is even REMOTELY acceptable for a brewing application. Even offering MIG as a solution for a split second means that you're dealing with a crack-pot who happens to have a welder in his garage at home and who likes to drink beer and has aspirations of making money on the side. RUN AWAY and take your brewing equipment with you!!!

I don't want to get into any welding debate but stainless can be welded for our purposes fine with a mig. We don't need sanitary welds on a hlt mlt or bk. All of my keggles were mig welded and look better than a lot of crappy tig welds I have seen posted on hbt. It's really the ability of the welder and teqnique not just the process.

Ha don't get yourself down. Remember that building it is half the fun anyway. I have a fully automated 30 gallon setup but i find that I am not pleased with it and end up brewing on my manual 10gallon setup all the time.

If someone would trade a beer for every system that i have drawn up the prints and mechanical cad files for i wouldn't have to buy beer for quite awhile. Building them is half the fun for me.

Back