Infection or Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvw1022

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am wondering if I can get some input/thoughts on what I should do with this 10 gallons of Saison Style beer I brewed. There seems to be a possible Infection or mold. I have never seen this in the 3 years I have been brewing but I was hoping to bottle it this week. I brewed 15 gallons total and put 5 gallons into a keg and have been drinking it without issues. I wanted a bit more filtering before bottling so the other 10 gallons stayed in the secondary.

Any thoughts on what this might be? Should I be concerned and dump this? It tastes great on draft so i really would hate to have to dump it out. :(

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

Unless those are hairs, you should be fine. Just taste it, you'll know if it's bad, there will be no question.

Definatly not hairs, I was thinking it was just the rest of the ferment from re-racking. Thanks for the reassurance, It was def a beer I did not want to dump! I will fill you in on the smell and taste after I get it bottled.

Prost

It looks like a slight pellicle, or something similar. When you move the carboy, does the surface film break apart into small, angular bits? If so, there is something other than brewers yeast going on. Not that it will affect the flavor or that you should be worried about bottle bombs.

Back